Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Red Tower

Red Tower

Hello. Its my first photo here, Maybe you could give me some advices how to make better photos.

Red Tower/ St. Agatha's Tower, Mellieha, Malta
    Intresting Sky and lights on tower. But maybe there is too much on foreground. Im not very happy with colours and noise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Tower-img_2022.jpg  
    Last edited by yaqbpl; 05-11-2011 at 02:55 PM.

GB1

Re: Red Tower

Welcome yaqbpl.

I would consider shrinking the image a bit and also slightly compressing it, as it will present better and load faster, respectively.

There's several things that you could do to make this photo better. One is to define a subject, which most photographers (and artists, writers ,etc) will tell you is needed. Here I immediately look at the person walking on the bridge, but he is so small in the frame (and dark) that he isn't a very good subject. I'm more drawn to the right side and the interesting fence/wall, but it is too dark.

Shooting into a bright sky will almost always produce a silhouette effect. This may be OK if you have an interesting shape like a castle, but that is missing here. There's also nothing up there in the sky to warrant showing 2/3s of the image as sky. Also, the bright(ish) sky has darkened your foreground too much.

The image isn't very sharp. I think it is because there was so little light that the shutter speed was too slow to hand hold the camera and get sharp pictures. Consider a tripod for shots this dark.

Hope this info is helpful!

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

The topic is Red Tower on the horizon with clouds as a background. But i guess made it wrong if you dont see it. maybe should i zoom closer to castle.

like in the second shot. But there is a light reflect on the UV filter, and also in general i like bit more the first picture because of the sky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Tower-img_2024.jpg  
    Last edited by yaqbpl; 05-11-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Looks to be a very interesting subject.
    Keep trying.....
    Would love to see more of the red tower.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Unfortunatelly ive been there only for 1 week, and maybe never be back.
    made some other pictures but they are bad, but they show some potential of this place, if i didnt make mistakes they could be nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Tower-img_2008.jpg   Red Tower-img_2008_full.jpg   Red Tower-img_3453.jpg  

Thread Information