Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: red door.

red door.

this is my first post to the forum. i just got a canon igital rebel and am taking photos for the first time.

took this one on a street near where i live, at night. i did a little bit of altering in photoshop, including unsharp mask and some color manipulation. i thought it conveyed a sense of mystery. critiques welcome!

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red door.-rutlandsquarereddoor_b_altered_lowres.jpg  

First, welcome to PR and the Photo Critique board. Check out the other great forums here, as well. This image is nice, oozing with mood and atmosphere. The issue for me is your blurred foreground...I can tell what it is, and it looks like it belongs in the frame, but there is just too much of it and dominates your main subject, the red door. I found that my eyes went to the blurred area and not the door, when first viewing. Let's see some more. :-)

I have to agree with Master Charles. Mood mood mood...but it is interrupted by the foreground...if you can go back...take different angled shots and LOOK thru your view finder...THINK (do I like what I see?) SHOOT - don't be afraid to take many shots of the same thing at different settings! You may like what you get!

Remember...you have a digi...it costs you little but time to take many shots and learn from what you have. The great thing about digital is that you can go back and see what your aperture/shutter was at and play with that later...once you find what you like.

I hope that is helpful. PHOTOGRAPHY (whether digital or film) RULES! And even if it's a casual snapshot existence...it is rewarding!

Best of luck,
    Tanya
    Every artist was first an amateur. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Like, zoinks! - Shaggy

thanks

Thanks for the feedback! I may be able to get back to the location soon. If so I'll try to adjust with your recommendations and do a re-post.

Thanks for encouraging me to post some other photos too. I certainly will!

Cheers, Stew

I like what you were trying to capture,and did for the most part. Great moody shot of the red door dimly lit. But like others pointed out, the rail or banister in the foreground is distracting. Still pleasing to look at.
    ___Gary___

Thread Information