Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Red Colobus Monkey

This picture was taken at the Jozani Forest in Zanzibar, Africa. I cropped the original picture and is not sure whether it works. Any feedback is appreciated.

Re: Red Colobus Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by iyuphoto View Post
    This picture was taken at the Jozani Forest in Zanzibar, Africa. I cropped the original picture and is not sure whether it works. Any feedback is appreciated.
    you forgot to attach the photo. I don't see it.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Ooops, sorry. Here's the attachment. Thanks for letting me know. :blush2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Colobus Monkey-dsc_0098_0922010-08-22.jpg  

Really nice. My only reservation is the depth of field is so shallow and focus is on the cheek hairs. What jumps out is "wow, look how sharp those hairs are!" Which maybe isn't quite what you want ... would have preferred focus on the eye.

I agree on the focus. However, looking beyond that ...I like the puzzling look of the primate ...it makes me think of what he is looking at ...and this is why I enjoy this image. You also have an interesting use of negative space which is almost 1/2 of the image ...and here I think it works.

The face is so expressive. I'm a Jane Goodall fan and primates are fantastic subjects.
    Thanks for sharing.

Excellent character portrait.

One thing I might change is to remove some of the glare from the eye – the part that is closest to the viewer.

Thanks for your comments everybody. I totally agree that the focus on the eye should be pin sharp, not the facial hair.

I was kicking myself when I reviewed the picture on the computer. I thought I had the focus point on the right spot! Oh well. Live and learn.

Thanks Justan for the comment about removing the glare. I never thought about that.

Critique?

Quote Originally Posted by camcrazy View Post
    The face is so expressive. I'm a Jane Goodall fan and primates are fantastic subjects.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Any ideas about what could have been done to make this a better photo? Part of what makes the Photo Critique Forum special is that people offer real constructive criticism here. Taking the time to analyze a photo and offer a bit of useful criticism helps the critic as much or even more than the photographer. Anything you learn while criticizing this photo you will actually end up applying to your own photography. So don't sell yourself short, give it a shot - what could the photographer have done to make this even better?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It looks to me the monkey is looking a bit off the camera. Some more depth of field wouldn't hurt either.

Congrats on the sticky !
    Last edited by AgingEyes; 10-04-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Wow, what a great capture. Congrats on the featured photo. Well deserved!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information