Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Ready For Take Off!

Yesterday's photo of the day for my 365 Blog - I love the moment, but suspect the softness may be a deal killer. What do you think? Comments and critiques welcomed, suggestions cheerfully explored but please leave the editing to me! :thumbsup:

C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Re: Ready For Take Off!

I would say its not really the softness that is any issue here but rather the perspective and moment. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in this. I do see that its a ladybug? but other than that I don't know whats going on or about to happen (the title gives me a hint!)
    I guess what I'm saying is the bug is not defined enough against the plant for me to figure it out and enjoy it. Colors are cool, sharpness adequate at this distance...just more clarity from a different angle and/or moment needed, imo.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is the bug is not defined enough against the plant for me to figure it out and enjoy it. Colors are cool, sharpness adequate at this distance...just more clarity from a different angle and/or moment needed, imo.
    I agree with Gary.
    Also,
    I'm torn between just taking off and impailed on a stick. If it's the former, great timing.

Ed

I'm not sure what is going on either but I think it's a spider caught a ladybug and the ladybug is trying to get away.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 06-10-2011 at 10:27 AM.

The softness I guess hurts it more than anything, and the stick right behind it also makes things more confuse

Great timing though!

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Yup, too soft. I knew it. The "moment" is actually the unfurling of the wings of the lady bug. Lady bugs are beetles and the red shell pops up like a car hood, then the wings roll out and away it goes. The transluscent brown leaf looking bits on either side are actually the LB's wings, not more of the daylily it was perched on. It was being a marvelous subject and I have lots of tight shell closed shots of this guy but unfortunately it walked out to the front edge of the DOF plane and took off and I couldn't readjust fast enough. This was a surprise kind of shot anyway. Hand held, fully extended on my 300mm, on camera flash, no extension tubes, all the no-no's. Serves me right. . . But hey that's why I keep shooting! I'll get it next time!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

GB1

Aww, I thought that w/ you now living closer to Florida, this would be a photo of the space shuttle!

Not a bad attempt, but yes, a bit soft, and I think that the DOF is just too shallow too. Crank up the ISO if you have to next time in order to get a fast SS and deeper aperture. I have a natural reluctance to do that myself, but w/ my D700 you really don't see much difference between shooting at 200 (the lowest value) and say 600.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information