Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Random portrait that became my "best yet" printout......

This was taken in Zions natl park, upon a mighty cliff with severe winds. It is not posed (I never do posed portraits). I was just shooting in motor drive my girlfriend, and got home to find this one. It's funny because, again, it's not a pose, and she wasn't holding that position, that is just a fraction of a second of her face between words telling me to stop taking pictures. A instant too soon or too late and I wouldn't have gotten it.

It's printed out 24x18 and hung up, and without fail, every single person who sees it comments on it on how "great" it is or some variation of it, usually saying something about the hair. After about 15 people commenting on this alone, i figured I'd post it here and see what you think. It's not really something I could go back and do again, of course, it was just serendip.

Taken with the Drebel and the Sigma 105mm Macro.

A good craftsman never blames his tools.

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I like it. I do think it's a little bright, but considering that it was rather impromptu I'd say it's a great shot. Portraits like these are my favorite and you have every right to love this as it is a great portrait. The expression says a lot and the wind gives your pic a lot of action and the lighting gives great dimension. Good job with this.

The colors are a tad flat but otherwise I really like this moment you caught. The expression on her face / of her eyes, combined with the tossed hair is very interesting. Nice catch.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information