Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Rail Slide

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Rail Slide

More streetphotography...
    Worked on this in the darkroom and thought the final was a tad too dark...a little PS level adjustment and I'm happier.
    I will be going back to the darkroom to print, using a lower contrast filter to get the prints to look more like this.
    What are your comments and critiques?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rail Slide-rail-slide-posted1-.jpg  
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Photonerd

Re: Rail Slide

the fuzziness of the skateboarder was much too distracting for me. the background is sharper than he is, and that draws attention away from him. if you could sharpen him up a bit i think that would add a lot to the overall photo.

Tao, i like the series and your framing here is good. i agree though that i would have liked to see the rail rider better focused. I'm thinking high ISO film would get you the sharpness and the grain would look great in a street series.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

tough crowd...I love it.

Well, the blur is on purpose, to show how quick this occurs...I used a lower shutter speed to get a greater dof...this inable me to not worry about focusing as much, because as I said this happens fast. The kid did the trick and then skated on like it was nothing...I guess that is why I'm enjoying streetphotography so much. You basically get one chance to get these shots right and decision on focus, shutter, and aperture are done with instinct (guess my instinct needs some working ;) ).

Gasphidy - I agree this shot would have been easier with an higher ISO film...however, walking around during the day this would not be that great of an idea, IMHO. I should try and see what a roll gets me. What ISO are you thinking about? Film recommendation?
    I shot HP5 @ 200...but I have been using Neopan B&W on Medium Format and the results are great (this is a true 400 speed film).

CHEERS!
    Minor White

Quote Originally Posted by PlantedTao
    tough crowd...I love it.

Well, the blur is on purpose, to show how quick this occursresults are great (this is a true 400 speed film).

CHEERS!
    Well, the blur may be on purpose but it doesn't work. A rule of "blurring", if you will is that some part of the subject should be sharp and the background should definitely not be sharp.

There are a number of ways that you could emphasize motion better including panning, and on a flash, rear curtain sync with panning or multi-flash with a small aperture.

Ronnoco

Tao, I understand what you were trying to do, and ronnoco had some good suggestions. It does not come off to me like a motion blur effect but merely as a subject that was not focused on properly. As for speed, i was thinking at least 800 posiibly even 1600.b&w street photography, to me, always looks effective when it is rough , gritty, and nostalgic. You could easily snap quick shots on the fly with accuracy. Of course, this may not be at all your intention for your series, but you might see if you like it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I don't mind this to be honest. I like the subtle blur, and think it adds to the shot. Though, that being said, I do with there was more blur to balance it out, as I can see how some will see it as a nuisance instead of a helper.

Well done,

Jared

I think the feeling of darkness here comes from the unfortunate background immediately behind the darkly clothed 'boarder. Had he been surrounded by the lighter reflections to the left and the metal doors I think it would be stronger.
    ----------------------------

Hey PT,

It's good to see some more of your stuff. I agree with Ronnoco that panning would better give the feeling of action.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thanks for all the suggestions, they are doing a lot to help me improve.

I think next time I go for the action shot I try panning...since I don't use a flash. Looking back at the picture I can see how stagnant the background looks compared to the skater. A little blur in the bg and a little less on the skater would have been ideal.

I think using the higher ISO film would of made an impovement, but I never have found
    one that I like. I'm getting some more film developed and told them to increase the processing time to see if that makes it a bit more gritty feel.

Cheers
    Minor White

The motion blur is awesome and seen a lot in major magazines. Contrast is good for a street scene, keep it up great work!!

Thread Information