Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raging Spokane Falls.

After a winter of huge snow, a heat wave melted much of the snowpack. The Spokane River got quite high.

Raging Spokane Falls

Washington Water Power 2
    ^There's a dam under that waterfall!

For reference, here's the same place last June.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Re: Raging Spokane Falls.

Wow great shots
    I like the first one the most. So much to look at.

hehe, you beat me to it! I have been meaning to stop by and take pics. We were up there today and just too busy..... but you have definitely got me wanting to get it done!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Those are great, Yucky. I have just barely begun to understand and experiment with HDR. So far I have achieved nothing worth sharing. But these are both excellent. I especially like the top one. I think it is a very effective application of the HDR process. I love the swirling water in the foreground. To place more emphasis on that section - which I think is the key to the image, I think I would crop some of the sky. I think the image is stronger with the water being approximately two-thirds of the image. The sky is nice. But it's not nearly as powerful or dynamic as the water. I don't think it really hurts the image to let some of it go.

Hope that helps

By the way, I will be in Spokane for a wedding in mid-July. You know I will have a bike and cameras with me
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Tiff
    Wow great shots
    I like the first one the most. So much to look at.
    Tell us more. Break it down. Be specific. The critique process works both ways. The photographer benefits from getting specific feedback. And the critic benefits from taking the time to understand and articulate what they do and don't like about a photo. Serious criticism is an integral part of a complete photographic education. It helps you understand what works and what doesn't and integrate those things into your own photography. Don't sell yourself short. I offer you a friendly challenge to step up and give Yuck a real critique
    Photo-John

jeez way to lay on the pressure... well I really don't think I can find anything negative to say about the first, I just really like the shot. Now that you mention it I agree with your crop idea as well.To be honest I thought it was taken right before sunset not HDR ,but shows what I know.
    In the second I think that the lighting seems a little off for such a dark sky, But I guess that could have been how it looked. Is this HDR as well?
    As far a composition on the second I think maybe getting down a little lower may have helped emphasize the water more because now it seems to be about the sky and kinda the water... but mostly the sky.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I immediatly wished I could view them larger and then found out I could. The small ones don't do it justice.
    I like the first best as it seems to portray the power of the water more. I do wish there were a wider view so we could see the rest of the curve on the left. Might make a good pano stitch.
    I don't want any crop of the sky as its power and the power of the river compliment each other so well.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nice!

Thanks for being a good sport, Tiff!

I was serious about how important the critique process is, though. I have so much insight and unconcious photo ability because of the criticism I've participated in. It's really powerful stuff. And don't feel like I singled you out. I don't come into this forum much. But when I do, I usually find a post like yours that just says something like, "Neat!" And I encourage that person to step up and do a little more. I do it as much for the other people who look at the thread as for the actual victim

Hopefully you'll give your critique posts a little more thought in the future. There's a language of critique and learning to articulate what might just be vague feelings is part of the process, too. When we learn to explain how we feel, we are empowered. When I can tell you why I like or don't like something, I then understand better how to apply those things to my own photos. And therein lies the real power of the critique.
    Photo-John

Thanks for such a great response.

Tiff:
    The first one's gets its color partly from HDR and partly from the fact that it was taken at the "blue hour" that is, the time between sunset and dark.
    --In the second one, the buildings were lit by the setting sun, I admit that in the HDR process I darkened the sky a tad, though it did start out pretty dark. Next time you have a cloudy, rainy day, look east around sunset time, you'll see that the sky might seem kinda dark and the golden hour light really brings things alive.

ChowChi: You're in Spokane?? I thought you were on the nice half of the state.

John:
    Shoot me an email or call me while in Spokane, a friend just showed me a pretty sweet downhill park. And here's a slightly shorter crop:
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Actually we live about 45 minutes from Spokane but we are up there 3+ times a week. Hehe, I wish we lived on the 'nice' half of the state.... kind of sick of wheat fields to be honest!

You do find alot of cool areas to shoot though in Spokane. I would love to do more but usually have the kids with me and they get bored WAY too easily!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

HI Mr Yuck,
    They are both excellent! Truly an eye-opening experience.
    yoyo

Forgive my ignorance, but is HDR a filter or a piece of camera equipment?
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

What Is HDR?

Quote Originally Posted by photo101
    Forgive my ignorance, but is HDR a filter or a piece of camera equipment?
    That's a great question for the Software forum and even an article. Do me a favor and post the question on the Photography Software, Printing, & Computers where someone can give you a proper, detailed answer.
    Photo-John

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Both are impressive! I can't decide which I like more. I agree with PJ's suggestion on cropping the sky. The implied momentum of the water is what really works for me in your first image. The second image has great details and I really like the lighting, totally irresistible. I think this is a great example of a positive use of HDR.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

The first one is stunning, love the lights in the windows.

I saw these two pictures, and I've spent the last two hours browsing your Flickr account. LOL

Very good shots, especially the first one. I don't know why HDR gets such a bad rap, I really think it looks great in a number of applications. Keep up the good work.

I also have the Sigma 10-20, and I love using it whenever I get the chance
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Mr Yuck, My critique skills are far from good,yet I would like to comment on this fine work.
    I can feel, almost hear the roar of the raging current in the first shot.

The second capture shows such impressive depth,the light is quite frankly...stunning.
    Excellent work.

Rick

GB1

Wow, glad I didn't miss this one MY. That top (first) image is incredible It seems like a sword and sorcery movie, where evil and danger is lurking. The starburst effect on the lights adds to that effect.. NICE job. The second is OK but I find the water at the bottom more confusing than H2O - it seems like sand or something. I wouldn't crop # 1 btw - keep every bit in there cause it's all good !

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Yuckster.......I'm inclined to go with the cropped shot, as in the first posted the island area was too much right smack in the center of the picture. I like the crop better. The sky was the proper place to do it, too. You didn't want to lose the dynamic of the water and the foreground.
    John
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

Mr. Yuck, I've not been a fan of HDR much because I have yet to see results that I feel are worth the efforts, but these are pretty good. Most HDR work I see winds up losing the mood and depth of the image because of the excess detail brought out in the shadows and the equalizing of the highlights. Your images have retained that depth and mood and then the HDR effect lends to a surreal look about them, so well done.
    Personally, the right portion of the sky in the first shot being clear feels unbalanced or blank. I might experiment with adding the cloud formations and etail to the blank sky area to fill it in. I know some are dead against doing anything like that and feel the way it was is the way it should be. . . . . I totally disagree.
    btw, I think the crop helps by bringing the horizon line up past center.
    Anyway, good stuff from you as always
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Nice work Mr. Yuck. I saw this one on flickr. I echo Gary's comments but you are becoming the king of HDR.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Herriot
    The first one is stunning, love the lights in the windows.
    Please see my comment above, to Tiff, about giving real, thoughtful critiques. That's what this forum is for. You will benefit as much or more than the photographer.
    Photo-John

Thanks everyone. This photo is a first for me...what I mean...is...the first one to sell.

Gotta thank Photo-John. I ended up printing it at 24x16 to get the aspect ratio, which was very close to the 2nd crop. The print looked awesome on the metallic paper from AdoramaPix.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    Thanks everyone. This photo is a first for me...what I mean...is...the first one to sell.

Gotta thank Photo-John. I ended up printing it at 24x16 to get the aspect ratio, which was very close to the 2nd crop. The print looked awesome on the metallic paper from AdoramaPix.
    I hope you dont mind, I am using it as my desktop wallpaper.
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    Excellent! You can send me my cut via PayPal

I hope this is the first of many photos you sell. It's worthy and so are you.
    Photo-John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information