Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Opinionated Newbie

A quiet moment [Warning: Partial Nudity]

OK. I'm nervous just posting this. I do have explicit permission to do so. I do not know if it adhere's to community standards on the board, but I simply like this photo. It's a little red, but this was natural lighting. The only PS was the gaussian blur layer. I'd love to have a chance to improve my skills in this style of photography.

Any feedback would be appreciated, negative or positive. If it's too much, I will delete it.

Re: A quiet moment [Warning: Partial Nudity]

Are you kidding? This is a work of art! Of course it fits the standards. The truth is that it would take some pretty gratuitous sexual stuff to get it removed. This is a beautiful shot. Frankly I am a bit upset that on a photography website we have members that would bu hesitant to post such a wonderful image.

That being said, I suppose I should make a comment about the image itself. It, I think, is quite well done. I love the tonal quality of her skin. I do think that the blown out windows compete just a bit with the subject, but I still like the effect. Besides I don't wanna see what's out there. I wanna see her! I don't like the way you cut off the image at the bottom, but the pose it just great.

I would love to see more from this model!!!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

This is a beautiful photo. It is a bit red, but it has a nice soft glow to it. Very romantic feel to it. I'm new to photography myself, so I don't really have any advice, but wanted to tell you that it is a great photo. Look forward to seeing more.

It falls within the general guidelines of these forums as there has been similar photos posted in the past. As for Almo's comments, I think he is wrong, if it was anymore explicit then you would get some reactions.

As I have said before in other posts. One of things about this website, people are pretty tolerant of what happens, is said, and the general flow of images, information etc, but everyone has to remember that there are people from different walks of life, different religions, different ways of thinking about things and that needs to be considered in the back of everyones minds when posting.

It was good to see, that in the heading, it was indicated Partial Nudity was involved, and that shows the respect neccessary to all of us as individuals.

I think it is a good photo, not the best I have seen, want to see those, look at erotic on photosig.com and you will understand what I mean by that. It needs work, too much blur for my liking, but each to their own.

There have been some posts on these forums that I haven't commented on at all, I wanted to, but my cutting tounge would have got me into trouble. Those photos should never have been posted and should have been removed but hey, live and let live. (This is not one of them though Todd).

Keep practicing with the lighting and effects Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    It falls within the general guidelines of these forums as there has been similar photos posted in the past. As for Almo's comments, I think he is wrong, if it was anymore explicit then you would get some reactions.
    Peter I would have to disagree, I never said anything about reactions. I mentioned only that a more graphic image would be allowed. of course it would get a reaction, most do.

You need only to look back though the posts in this very forum, and even the galleries to find more explicit images.

Personaly I am a big fan of artistic nudes, and I would like to see even more posted here. After all they are as much a part of the serious pursuit of photography as the landscape, wildlife, ect...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Ghost

Well the pose works I think and that's usually the first thing I notice as needing improvement with amateur nudes. Did she see this photo? Did she make any comments on her rear and thigh looking larger due to the perspective?

This woman has a very beautiful figure and you've captured it nicely with the lighting, pose, and scenery. I hope some day to meet a woman as confident in herself as she must be.

All im saying is i like

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I like it.
    It is tasteful and artisitc.
    Nudes are welcome as far as I am concerned. Just take a look at last week's featured photo.
    My only thing, which you did Todd, is the "warning" in the subject line.
    Lot's of people view the forums at work.
    Keep It Up!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Opinionated Newbie

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

I'm a little dissapointed that we have not heard from some of the women on the site. I'd love feedback from Nat, Adina, Lara, Kelly, Penny and others. A womans perspective on something like this is always nice. Besides, Nat was supposed to start a nude photography studio with me ;)

EDIT: Somehow I deleted my own comments -- Summary:

Peter -- thanks for the link. I like what I see on the other site
    Almo -- The model is my wife of ten years and mother of my two boys. She enjoys doing this sort of photography but it has been kept to us until now!
    Trevor -- Trust me, the model picked herself apart. Always does!
    Last edited by Todd Patten; 06-01-2005 at 05:36 AM.

Hey Todd. I'm sorry I haven't responded to your photo. Been busy being a new Grandma.

I have no objections to nude photos done in good taste, and yours definitely is.

Asthetically, I would like to see your photo a little bit sharper, and I feel if we could see all or most of her legs in the photo, that would give her a longer line instead of cutting her off. But don't get me wrong, I like the photo a lot. Your wife is a beautiful woman and you have captured that for sure.
    Lara

Todd,

Definatelty is in good taste and not explicit or anything. I do find however the lighting is too much on her buttocks, taking away from the full body.

Nice concept with the blown out window,

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    All im saying is i like
    Why? What do you like? Is there anything you don't like? What could make it better?

This is a photo critique forum. It works both ways. We learn from posting and critiquing. Taking the time to break down and articulate what is good an bad about a photo helps us learn more and become better photographers. By not saying more, you cheat yourself and the photographer. I challenge you to post more!

Just so you know, I'm not trying to be mean or put you on the spot. Every once in a while I feel the need to make a post like this. You get to be the victim this time

You really should think about and post more about this photo. It really will help you become a better photographer.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ok Photo John , ill give it a go here but take in mind that i consider myself a amateur at photography. At this stage i dont realy think that im up to giving good critique im just in the very early learning stage. But one thing i do know is that when i C a visualy pleasing photo or capture i like to tell the person who took it that i like it plain and simple.

But here goes , for one i like the softness of this photo i think its very appropriate and creates a mood for the photo , also i like the tone and colors(sorta pastel not to bright) they dont take your eyes away from the main subject . The model in my oppinion is posing in a very sensual position and is a very beautifull woman. The upper torso color is quite naturel, the lighting is very good no bright spots but yet there are some good shadows on her back and right leg.

Now the only things i dont like is that her rump is not the same natural color of her upper torso and that i was not the one taking this photo

I think this is a very nice shot done in good taste, it fits into this forum!
    As far as the actual picture..the light and perspective makes her butt look large, as other have said.

This pose may also work with her butt in the shadows and more light on the line of her back to force the eyes down her back to a darker area near her butt. This would make the viewer use their imagination more...just my thoughts.
    Thanks!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Ok Photo John , ill give it a go here but take in mind that i consider myself a amateur at photography. At this stage i dont realy think that im up to giving good critique im just in the very early learning stage. But one thing i do know is that when i C a visualy pleasing photo or capture i like to tell the person who took it that i like it plain and simple.
    That is all that counts then Knight.
    Everyone has something useful and valid to say.
    And one way to improve your photography, both technique wise and aesthetically is to engage in critiques.
    If you think this is hard online, you should try it in person with 10-20 other photographers.
    So please don't think you don't have anything to say, simply because you are a beginner.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

This pic is very well done, you should be pleased with it's outcome, as well as she!! A couple things I noticed was (1), the awning on the window, it's keeps pulling my eyes away from your subject, and I'm not happy with that!!!! , and 2nd is the pose, which I like, angle and composition wise, but feel her upper body is sloped a bit too far away from the camera. But it is a fantastic first try!
    Also, remember, this is the internet! If you don't like something, you don't have to look at it or agree with it! There is ALOT worse stuff out there than a artistic nude photograph!!

Sorry I haven't commented til now, but I haven't been looking at a lot of posts lately, been very busy. Saw this thread title earlier but only got around to opening it now, mostly in response to the other nude thread.

One of the things i like the most about this picture is the blown out window fading into the blue awning. It looks frosty yet soft, and it's the perfect background for the subject, especially her red tones.

I wish the red was toned down a bit, but it's OK I guess. It's just that I get the idea that she just got out of a very, very hot jacuzzi tub. ;)

I love the pose, I think it's superb. You've made the most of her strengths and managed to hide any weaknesses she may have. Her hair hanging in front of her face is a wonderful touch.

From a woman's perspective, I don't know how it differs from a man's, except I pretty much think, "wow, I wish I had her figure! Maybe if I exercise a whole lot more." I also look at the skin which is beautifully soft and flawless.

Hope this helps.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

The mood captured here is what works for me. The old window and soft lighting, the curtains pulled aside, and the natural pose of the subject is working well. The red is a bit strong , i think i would reduce that as it almost looks to the effect of sunburn. The buttocks and thigh look larger than would be ideal, and I suppose it is from lens effect. Or maybe from being cropped tightly on the bottom
    All in all, a very good shot.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Very nice. A little red for me, but that could be corrected (they say it's better to err on the side of warmth for humans anyways).

I think it's a great shot but I would have given the model a little more space above her head, and maybe even a little more space all over. It needs a little more negative space, that is. Her body is artistically arranged (her pose, or did you pose her?) but what she's looking at could be a little better.. seems she's just thinking instead of looking out the window? In that sense, it seems a little posed, but it's still very nice.. as you can tell, I'm nitpicking here, so it must be a good photo!

Ha ha ha.. Just thought of something, she could knock on the window and catch the attention of some fellow walking by and wave hi. That would trip him out.

Thanks for posting
    GB

I'm sorry, I missed this. And by the time I got here, the photo's gone.

although it sounds like it was good.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

It was good Adina.

Todd must have decided to remove the photo.
    Lara

Opinionated Newbie

I'm sorry ladies. I took it down accidently while doing a site update. Check out the first post and you can see the original.

I did a BW version too

Good to see you put the photo back, and added the bw, Todd. You know, I think I like the bw more. How about you?
    Lara

Opinionated Newbie

That's a good question Lara. I'm one who tends to like strong and contrasty black and whites. This one is a little flat for my liking. What I like about the color is that, for me, it portrays a warmth and more emotion. Admittedly, I think I need to tone down the red, which I can do easily in PS. I still like the softness though.

I would love to get some proper lighting and experiment some more with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    I'm sorry ladies. I took it down accidently while doing a site update. Check out the first post and you can see the original.

I did a BW version too

I find this version a bit dark, but I know it'd be hard to get it just right with out really doing damage to that window. Man you are one lucky son of a gun, she is just beautiful.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information