Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Pushing or Pulling?

Criticisms please?

Len
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pushing or Pulling?-pushing_or_pulling-pr.jpg  
    Last edited by Len J; 03-13-2008 at 07:16 PM.

wannabe

Re: Pushing or Pulling?

the exposure is great but I think the use of a wider angle lens to get the just of what the tug is pulling would be great ,but it was prob a hard shot to get.
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Quote Originally Posted by racedraper
    the exposure is great but I think the use of a wider angle lens to get the just of what the tug is pulling would be great ,but it was prob a hard shot to get.
    It was a 400 +ft freighter. I was about 20 yards away......I don't have that wide a lense...LOL

The "tow Tug" is used in conjunction with the bow tug to get the
    freighter down a winding channel. When they want to turn the ship, the "Tow tug" in the rear will reverse engines to try to keep the freigter from moving forward while the "bow Tug" turns the Bow over to the channel.

Here is a shot of the full ship from the front.

Len
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pushing or Pulling?-_dsc3709.jpg  

Love the color and exposure. It has a flat arty look.

[QUOTE=Don Schaeffer]Love the color and exposure. It has a flat arty look.[/QUOTE

I agree 100%. I am glad you mentioned the "flat arty look". That is what drew me to the shot.

I think it would be better if the middle ship wasn't there. The buildings look slightly tilted too. I like it though. Nice shot.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I think it would be better if the middle ship wasn't there. The buildings look slightly tilted too. I like it though. Nice shot.
    I actually was trying to center the ship on the dock between the other 2..........I thought the contrast between the old shoip & the modern ones was interesting........it doesn't work?

Buildings look tilted because of the mast on the ship. I've put a grid on it & the buildings are dead straight.

Thanks for the comments.

len

You did well centering it. It works better that way. I just feel it's a bit busy. But I still like it. Nice colors and great exposure.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Looks like you caught some fantastic lighting behind you for this shot. I agree with others that the exposure is spot-on.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

MB1

Really? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    ....Buildings look tilted because of the mast on the ship. I've put a grid on it & the buildings are dead straight.

Thanks for the comments.

len
    It is a great image. You did the most important thing an outdoor photographer can do-you were there in good light and conditions.

I like the composition and I think you shot at exactly the right moment. When I look carefully I can see that the buildings only look tilted because of those masts but at a glance they sure look off line.

BTW any fool knows you can't push a rope. The tug is pulling.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

I looked at those buildings repeatedly trying to figure out how to "straighten them"......LOL

It is also a picture that looks better bigger as the detail is easier to see.

Len

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

try to darken the darks a bit and maybe bring a bit more blue out of the sky. If you want to know some specific tricks and have photoshop, feel free to send me a PM. nice composition and subject matter though!

Thread Information