Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Purple and Orange

A couple of shots from the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis. Taking pictures of flowers is not as easy as it seems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purple and Orange-purple.jpg   Purple and Orange-orange.jpg  

Re: Purple and Orange

i love the colors but the flowers dont seem to be as sharp as i would like to see them
    try sharpening them a tad in photoshop. other then that awesome shots
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

I think the they're a tad under-exposed. Colors need some correction, too.

The first photo would look better if you shot it closer. Right now it's showing the ground, which is not really that attractive. I'd like to see the entire frame filled with the flowers and the leaves.

The second one, I would crop out the space on the left of the photo. The background is out-of-focus enough that it is not too much of a distraction. But the main flower, the one nearer the center, looks like it's touching the one behind and to the right of it. IMO, it would be better if it could be shown more isolated and separated from the other flowers, so that that particular flower stands out more in the photo.

MB1

Thoughts.....

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    I think the they're a tad under-exposed. Colors need some correction, too.

The first photo would look better if you shot it closer. Right now it's showing the ground, which is not really that attractive. I'd like to see the entire frame filled with the flowers and the leaves.

The second one, I would crop out the space on the left of the photo. The background is out-of-focus enough that it is not too much of a distraction. But the main flower, the one nearer the center, looks like it's touching the one behind and to the right of it. IMO, it would be better if it could be shown more isolated and separated from the other flowers, so that that particular flower stands out more in the photo.
    I agree that the exposure and color are a bit off in that the images seem a little dark and dull.

I am pretty much ok with the first image composition although getting more flowers in the frame is always good.

For the second image I am thinking a crop from the right up to the main flower to get that isolation that AE is thinking about.
    No, I DON'T need that.

They are enjoyable shots. I take a lot of flower shots at my house and it's always a bit tricky to get the perfect light. Lower light conditions will give you more accurate colors, but hurt the focus some, but too much sun will blow out the colors sometimes.

Great feedback! This gives me a lot to think about and try. Much appreciated.

Thread Information