Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Pt. Lobos

Just Lurking

Pt. Lobos

I haven't posted any pics in a long time, but thought I'd run these past the group. I took these a week or so back when I had a chance to go to Pt. Lobos. The early afternoon wasn't too good, but things started to improve once sunset was rolling around.

At any rate, I welcome your comments and feedback.

Thanks,

PC

Re: Pt. Lobos

I always look forward to your posts, Mike. I really like the top half of the #1, the brightness in the pool of the lower half upset the balance for me. Perhaps if the colors in the pool were less saturated, it would be a better fit. The only thing that bugs me about #2 is the light hitting the near side of the rock on the right, which should be shaded due to the sunset on the far right. I like the action and energy in #3, and can't offer anything but kudos on this one. Nice work!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

very nice. I wish my landscapes came out half as good.

They are a little overcooked for my taste, but not by much.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

These are awesome PC. The depth of the first one makes the shot.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Beautiful HDR. Very good color.

outstanding shots !!

#1 great texture on the rocks, the green on the small pool , is beautiful, but I don't know exactly what makes it feel odd, still, the image pulls me inside

#2 great sense of movement, some areas of the rocks on the left are overexposed and the nice texture is lost

#3 is my favorite of this series, the movement in the water looks dramatic, the saturation of the rocks on the left maybe a bit too red

Would you be willing to share the original two shots on the first one and tell us how you merged them and how you took them, settings? I hate to ask a magician how he does it but?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

#2, & #3 are both great shots but the first shot is the one that spins my wheels.... . It has a science fantasy aspect, as if a ring of power is hiding in that tidal pool
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Just Lurking

Ken - thanks for the detailed comments. I understand your concern on the first - I took a bit of artistic license and wanted to accentuate the rocks in the tidepool. I don't recall doing anything to the lighting on the right side of #2. Although it was sunset, there were some clouds that tended to flatten out the light as well.

Erik - I think I tend to overdo things somewhat, I will have to remember to dial things down.

Greg - Thanks for commenting. I'll post the originals along with some workflow info a little later - no magic involved.

Don - Nice to get your feedback too. None of these are actually HDR (in the photomatix sense anyway). The first is from two separate exposures which I'll post a little later when I have a little more time.

Armando - Thanks for commenting. It's always nice getting feedback.

Pete - I'm glad you like them and I appreciate the comments.

Thanks again,

PC

D80. 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8. SB 600. DLB1973's Avatar

Wow. No really, Wow. Nicely done pre and post. Could see these on the wall as posters....
    db

My only criticism is that I didn't take these shots myself. The colors, composition, texture and HDR treatment are all pro.

Just Lurking

db & Arne - thanks a bunch for the comments.

To get back to Greg's request, here are the two shots - straight out of the camera. As for the settings, I was trying for a long exposure to get the softness in the waves so I was shooting at f/16, ISO 100, 2s for the brighter and 0.5s for the darker (rocks and sky respectively). The camera was set on aperture priority mode with auto bracketing. I was shooting with a 10-22 at 10 on a tripod. I also had a polarizer on to cut the reflection on the pool and to enhance the colors.

The part of it that I was trying to capture was the stillness of the rocks in the small tidepool contrasted against the harsher rocks and waves just a few feet away. In fact, I had to wait after a couple big waves because they dumped water into the pool and disturbed the stillness. I also shot a set in portrait orientation and that's on my flickr stream if you're interested.

Anyway, I import everything into Lightroom and do some basic editing there (straighten horizon, exposure, blacks, clarity, lens correction, gradient on the sky, probably some vibrance). I then click on both files and load them as layers in photoshop. At that point I had the lighter layer (rocks) on top of the darker layer (sky). I selected the sky in the lighter layer and used the selection to create a mask. I then tweaked the mask and opacity to nicely blend the sky and rocks to give them "appropriate" lightness. Once I was happy with this I flattened the layers and did some dodging and burning to highlight the pool. I think I also did some selective curves, but I don't remember specifics. I probably also sharpened and added a slight vignette because that's what I usually do.

I hope that answers the question, but please ask if something's unclear.

Thanks again for the nice comments.

PC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pt. Lobos-_mg_9555-x640.jpg   Pt. Lobos-_mg_9556-x640.jpg  

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Amazing work! Even more amazing once one sees what you started with - great vision on your part.

Thanks for sharing your technique. I've bookmarked this thread to try this method if/when I find an appropriate scene.

As for your original post (image #1), I love the serenity of the pool in contrast to the harshness of the breaking waves and jagged rocks in contrast to the serenity of the sky. These contrasts occur in both content and in color.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Yeah PC thanks. I have tried a few times to combine exposures. I was just wondering was your focus point different on the two? Cause of the depth? What lens did you use?

Sony a99/a7R

These are very nice and this is what HDR really is - an increase in the dynamic range. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Mike,
    Saw the portrait version in flickr, I think it is even better to what you shared here!! quite impressive !

Just Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Yeah PC thanks. I have tried a few times to combine exposures. I was just wondering was your focus point different on the two? Cause of the depth? What lens did you use?
    Greg - No focus change between the two. I was shooting with a 10-22mm lens which already provides a lot of DOF, plus I was shooting at f/16 which tends to maximize what's available.

Loupey & Terry - thanks for the comments.

Armando - Thanks for the comments both here and on flickr. I think I tend to lean toward the portrait version as well.

For those that are interested, you can see the portrait version here.

Thanks again,

PC

PC, great work. All 3 are amazing.

If I can offer a bit of advice, I'd say continue exactly what you're doing but in the bottom parts make that 50% of the 'lightness/brightness' you currently have. I think half of the effect of HDR would make it more seemless and less strange, more realistic and ultimately beautiful. Either way. great job!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Also, although I like all three, the third one is my favourite. just great.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

Very nice 'Fantasy' looking images! I've seen work like this before in paintings, and I really like how you did it in photography and in PP. Nice job.

Specifically critiquing, the top one looks somewhat surreal but in a good way. If anything isn't perfect, I'd say that the reflecting water in the middle left throws another element in that may overwhelm. Perhaps it could use a little more space at the top too, but these are subjective nit picks.

The middle shot doesn't quite do it for me. I think the shot is better as a landscape format -- adds stability. I also think the foreground is too bright.

The bottom image is another great shot, but I am a little uneasy seeing that foreground left side rock w/ a totally different color.. Really makes it stand out w/o a particular reason. As an expt, try a 2/3 crop by cropping just to the right of it, eliminating that rock.

Great start of the new year, I think

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Great work. My favs are 1 and 3. 2 is very good but i think the foreground rock could be a lot less illuminated for mood and allow me to get past it and into the scene.
    1 is prob my fav. Has the wow factor and great composition. I agree with another comment about the pool of water in the fg being a bit too overpowering. Also, one thing that kinda bugs me is the extreme wide angle this was shot with has me looking down at the foreground where I would prefer to look across it as I am for the rest of the scene. It seems to have a dizzying affect.

All very good work, PC
    Last edited by gahspidy; 01-10-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured photo. January 10, 2011
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

yes ! congrats on the sticky !!

Just Lurking

GB - thank you for commenting. On the second one, I think I tried landscape orientation, but it seemed like everything in the shot was going vertically and landscape seemed to clash (for me at least).

Gary - Yes, I think I overdid it a little on the pool and would probably tone it down if I ever print this.Thank you for your comments as well. It's always good to get your feedback.

Also, thanks for the sticky! It's very much appreciated, even if not particularly deserved.

PC

PS - A sort of landscape near where the 2nd was shot

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Gorgeous sea scenes PC! Excellent images! Sticky well deserved!:thumbsup:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Just Lurking

Sorry for the late reply, but it's been a crazy week!

Anyway, thank you so much for the comment. It's very appreciated.

PC

Thread Information