Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Prom

Prom

Hello Everyone,

Well I have decided to try and play a little bit with Photoshop and my brother's prom picture.

Let me know what you think needs a bit of improvement, both with composition and editing (I'm not great with portraits)

I appreciate all feedback so fire away!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prom-img_2203-1.jpg  
    Eric

Feel free to edit any photos I've posted

Ctn

Re: Prom

Hi Emiles,

First of i think you have made a nice portrait of your brother and i think he will be happy with the shot. His expression and pose is relaxed, which is always a good thing. However there are some things i would think of changing.

Composition:
    The lower part of his body is not really adding something to this photo. Stand a bit closer or zoom in more untill you can still see the flower and his tie and you will get all the context that you have in the current picture, but with a more clear point of interest: His face.

Lighting:
    You have chosen a bright and busy background for this picture which tends to take your attention away from his face. You can solve this to some extend by using a flash, but i recommend using a darker/more tranquil background

Context:
    You mentioned this photo is taken for his prom. (Please bear in mind that im not familiar with traditional prom culture ). It might be cool to think of something to add to the portrait so that absolutely clear it is about his prom.

Those are my thoughts, I hope you can get something out of them.

Re: Prom

Thanks for the advice Ctn! I'm going to pick your brain a little more:

How far up would you frame him? I was looking for a longer picture but after playing with it some I could see where below say, the first button would look really nice.

How would the flash have helped the background? I only have my on camera flash so I wasn't sure if it would help.

Thanks for the help!
    Eric

Feel free to edit any photos I've posted

Thread Information