Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Product shot

Product shot

Gearing up for an impending Jewelry shoot. Anything outrageously out of place? Haven't done a lot of this type of work, and there are a lot of little nitpicky details to contend with...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Product shot-web_jje3524.jpg  

GB1

Re: Product shot

Hmm. Not having any experience with this either, I nevertheless have some opinions that hopefully provide some value:

• I can see why you blurred the background,.. so to draw attention to the jewelry. However, I don't think this works here because the jewelry is simply too small in the frame. I would move in closer to the jewelry with the lens even if that creates a bit of a rounded look. I would also foreshorten it a bit more by turning the shoe a little more.
    • I think the jewelry blends into the heel a little too much, .. Needs more contrast.
    • The image needs a slight contrast boost.
    • This one begs for a vertical format imho ... one that shows the entire shoe and reflection.
    • Put some *punch* on this puppy (!)... darken the entire frame (when shooting, if possible) and use a snoot or something related to specifically light the jewelry area.
    • Finally, I'd up the saturation. Or, perhaps, reduce it and see how that looks, too.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I think the entire shoe should be in tact sharp focus. the dof doesn't flatter the shoes. reallly nice shoes though.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Very smooth lighting.
    I agree on the softness of the subject though, it just needs to sharper to stand out from the shoe.
    A tight vertical might serve it better.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

I think my only concern is that the idea of a diamond ring in a heel of a shoe is way too "cliche". It may represent Marlin Monroo's era when sang "Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend". When I saw this shot, it was like, "oh, please not again" kinda thing.
    Most women buying diamond rings are in their twenties and thirties. The theme idea should represent this generation.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 05-10-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    I think my only concern is that the idea of a diamond ring in a heel of a shoe is way too "cliche". It may represent Marlin Monroo's era when sang "Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend". When I saw this shot, it was like, "oh, please not again" kinda thing.
    Most women buying diamond rings are in their twenties and thirties. The theme idea should represent this generation.

Just my opinion.
    Interesting perspective. I did a google image search for "diamond ring on shoe", "diamond ring on Stiletto", and "diamond ring on heel" delving 5 pages into each search I was only able to come up with 1 single image: http://www.lovelovemedo.com/wp-conte...d-stiletto.jpg from a wedding photographer. Seems like if it were so cliche' there would be a lot more examples on the web...

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Hmm. Not having any experience with this either, I nevertheless have some opinions that hopefully provide some value:

• I can see why you blurred the background,.. so to draw attention to the jewelry. However, I don't think this works here because the jewelry is simply too small in the frame. I would move in closer to the jewelry with the lens even if that creates a bit of a rounded look. I would also foreshorten it a bit more by turning the shoe a little more.
    • I think the jewelry blends into the heel a little too much, .. Needs more contrast.
    • The image needs a slight contrast boost.
    • This one begs for a vertical format imho ... one that shows the entire shoe and reflection.
    • Put some *punch* on this puppy (!)... darken the entire frame (when shooting, if possible) and use a snoot or something related to specifically light the jewelry area.
    • Finally, I'd up the saturation. Or, perhaps, reduce it and see how that looks, too.

GB
    All good points. Trying a bunch of stuff along with the straight macro high key standard.
    The shoot is a couple weeks away yet so I have time...

I think its pretty good, Jim. I am a bit bothered by the reflection and it seems a little heavy somehow....seems i always say this bout reflections Not a big issue

The main thing really for me is the heel of the shoe is competing with the ring. Both are shiny/glitzy. I like the idea, but think that maybe a shiny black heel would allow the ring to stand out well. Its a beautiful shoe, but i think it competes. My first thought was that this was an ad for the shoes and that the "ring" was actually a design element incorporated into the heel.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

A couple others. 1 high key, and 1 trying to implement suggestions above... Any better, or too hokey?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Product shot-ring-2.jpg   Product shot-ring-3.jpg  

Thread Information