Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Primate Skulls . . .

This is a shot I took at the Bronx Zoo of some Primate Skulls set up outside near an exhibit on a table. I worked this image in Jasc paint shop pro 8 to get it somewhat how I wish to see it. Desaturated, converted, selective coloring,soft focus, lighting effects. . . .Obviously I am going for a mysterious, eerie, moody sort thing. What are your thoughts as it is.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Primate Skulls . . .-skulls0704-301906xxbwweb.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 07-21-2004 at 07:02 AM.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    This is a shot I took at the Bronx Zoo of some Primate Skulls set up outside near an exhibit on a table. I worked this image in Jasc paint shop pro 8 to get it somewhat how I wish to see it. Desaturated, converted, selective coloring,soft focus, lighting effects. . . .Obviously I am going for a mysterious, eerie, moody sort thing. What are your thoughts as it is.
    Thanks
    Very nice dramatic shot. The subtle color is very effective. The saturation seems to fade with the focus. You got what you were going for. It feels like a musty old museum basement or maybe an alcove in the Baboon Temple along the upper Nile.

Hi Gary,
    The photo is well composed. However, the coloring of the selected skull may not be appropriate because the skull is not much different from the other two.
    All the best.
    yoyo

Cool Creepy! (in a good way)

Hi Gary-

I like it a lot- I think the coloring effects on the foreward skull is great, and adds to the the less focused skulls...
    I like the lighting coming in from the top.
    I agree with Chunk on the old basement comment.
    Great!

-VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thanks
    Well done. It might be cropped or framed a little too tight on the left.

Thanks for the comments.
    Chunk, exactly what I was hoping you get from it, old musty basement in a museum thing. Great description.

yoyo, thanks for your input. the skull in front was a deeper orange color and I may bring some of that back as you say

Villenadecorte, thanks for looking and commenting. Creepy in a good way. . .cool

Lavalamp, the original had a little more room on the left and I wound up cropping it against my wishes to cover up something i did not do to my liking. I will be correcting it and leaving the space on the left of the foreskull ( foreskull?? hhmm well there is forehead so I guess foreskull would be appropriate)

gary

I'm learning not to critique in the middle of the night. I see things completely different at 3 am than I do at 3 pm.

~kelly

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I'm learning not to critique in the middle of the night. I see things completely different at 3 am than I do at 3 pm.

~kelly
    Tease! So explain already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Well done. It might be cropped or framed a little too tight on the left.
    This is an second edit using a bit of advice from various comments. less crop from the left ( original crop, all there is) more of the original color retained on the foreskull, less soft focus and slightly different lighting effect settings. I think it is an improvement. would you agree?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Primate Skulls . . .-skulls0704-301906xbwedit.jpg  

gary

This is an second edit using a bit of advice from various comments. less crop from the left ( original crop, all there is) more of the original color retained on the foreskull, less soft focus and slightly different lighting effect settings. I think it is an improvement. would you agree?
    I agree - nice work.

Beware: Mom With Camera

I think you definitely got what you were going for.... very eerie shot!!! Definitely has somewhat of a secretive feel to it. I think it looks great. I love the soft focus.
    Kate

Oops! Sorry Chunk, didn't see this message.

I first looked at this image at 3 am and thought, "nope, not completely working for me, I think the foreground skull is too sharp in comparison to the background skulls and looks "dropped in".

Then, I came back and looked at it at 3 pm, and completely reversed my opinion, and saw nothing wrong with it at all.

THEN, I came back at 3 am again (yes, I'm a night owl), and thought, "Huh! Now it's not working for me again."

So I'm not going to post anymore at 3 am because my perception must be all messed up at that hour, and in the morning I'll regret anything I say.

That's all I meant.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information