Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    "Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Pre Construction

Worked in the darkroom this weekend...Didn't get as much done as I wanted, but I did take a lot of your suggestions and this is what I came up with.
    Before and After...

Hit me with your suggestions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pre Construction-pre-highway-web.jpg   Pre Construction-preconstructionii-web.jpg  
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Re: Pre Construction

On my screen the the first one is pretty good. what were the specifications on these (time, filter, etc.) The second just looks too dark, but I do like the rocks on the second one. Overall, nice job.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Zack - your driving me crazy! (not really, I appreciate the help)
    Last time, your comment and just about eveyone else, was the first was too muddy and no enough contrast. No tonal range. And now you like it
    Print #1 2.5 filter @ 26 secs - burned in the clouds
    Second is with a 3.5 filter at 22 secs burning in the clouds with 2.5 filter.

I actually kinda like the darker one...it is closer to the mood I was trying to achieve. Of course I may go back to the darkroom and try the 3 filter...probably a good compromise.
    The sky on #2 is the look I want...I'm just not too happy with the hills and excavator.

This is one of the most rewarding print (and frustrating) that I have worked with...it is teaching me a lot about filters and how to burn and dodge areas. Of course it is costing a small fortune to get it right

Any tips on choosing the correct filter from the get go?

Cheers
    Minor White

Ok upon closer examination I do like the second I just wish the hills had more detail. Try dodging the hills a little more to pull out the detail. I would go with a 3 all the way around and not worry about changing filters for burning or dodging.

Choosing the right filter for me comes down to gut instinct. I look at all my negs on a light table with a good loupe. Then I try and find the one that already has a good tonal range. I want to see blacks, clear areas, and grey areas. If the negs look to contrasty I will start with a 2-2.5 filter to tone the contrast down. If they are flat I will bump up to a 4. Most of the time I will generally use only about 4 filters all the time. 3, 3.5, 4, and 4.5. These are ,y bread and butter filters and if you ever look at them you will notice. I will also use test strips of paper that are pretty thin, about .5 inch wide. I do this just to get my tonality dialed in and so I don't use so much paper. Once I decide on my tonality I will use a full sheet and expose parts of it at different times. I generally do 5 second increments and go that will range from about 30 seconds to 5 seconds. On this print I will make sure my print is in focus and now I can see overall where I need to dodge and burn, and what times look good on certain areas.

With any luck I can get a good print with about 5 sheets. Sometimes less if my hunches work out well. Its hard to view pics on my laptops lcd because the screen is never in the same position. If I move it then the pics look different. The second is good just a little more dodging and you've got a winner.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Tao, I like the first image here best. I really appreciate being able to make out all the line of trees in the distance and see the details in the hills. the excavator stands out stronger against the more faded hills and the skies are still dramatic and effective. Possibly a slight bit more contrast in the foreground could help, but I like it alot as it is.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like the ground and clouds better in pic 2, and the cat and trees are just about what you want in pic 1.

Try just doing what you did in pic 2 and dodge the cat and trees 5 seconds or so.

Good luck.

Zack -Once again thanks again for the help...I think I need to do more test strips in the beginning and at that time try different filters. I just don't have enough experience to go with my gut feel from the get go.

Gary - Good to see you back...I hope your gallery show went well(at least I think you had one coming up?)
    It's funny that you like this one...when I first posted it got kinda knocked around saying it had no tonal range. I went back and over did it on the second try, so I will try one more time. But the first image is starting to grow on me. Thanks for the help.

Flyer - Thanks for the suggestion. The sky and trees will be easy to handle and the cat is going to give me problems. I'm thinking that it may be easier to to print the first one and then burn in the foreground and sky.
    I hope to post again.

Thanks.
    Minor White

First one. Deeeeefinitely the first one. There's too much contrasty darkness in the second.

I look forward to seeing your future prints. I'm a dark room guy myself.

Talking Re: Pre Construction

Ok...I'm finally happy with the results (& sick of the negative )

This was my last print...split filter
    2.5 filter for 18 secs
    3.5 filter for 9 secs
    burn the hell out of the sky for +40 secs with both filters
    burn the foreground +9 secs with 3.5 filter

This is the mood and overall composition that I wanted...desolate, before the the destruction (construction) begins...change is on the way.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pre Construction-pre-highway-iii-web.jpg  
    Minor White

You nailed it...excellent darkroom work. Gotta love the smell of fixer and dektol...
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Thread Information