Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Portrait light test

I'm beginning to get more into portraits again and I had a very short shoot the other day with a friend. I ended up having flash triggering issues so we cut short after only 12 shots, and I thought I had nothing good. Long story short, this shot I'm posting now was one of the first shots I took as I was moving my lights around. I took it very quick with no real thought about the composition, and my rear flash was far too bright, severely washing the photo out. Upon seeing it later I liked the composition, and then took my time to edit it as much as possible. These are the results. I'll use the critiques toward future portraits and will be posting more here soon.

My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Re: Portrait light test

Photo composition is great , but still lots of space for the improvement. Over all nice shot.

Apart from the hot spot on the side of his face, the only issue I have is his expression, it seems rather wooden, I bet he's got a great smile. Hard for me to offer any real critique as my portraiture knowledge is very limited.
    Had a peek at you Facebook page, you have some nice stuff there.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Of course he has a great smile, and the funny thing about this photo is that since it was a light test, he wasn't preparing for anything and I shot when I wanted and quickly at that. I composed it very quickly, and that was all the thought I put into it, other than how the lights were going to look.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Quote Originally Posted by yad99in View Post
    Photo composition is great , but still lots of space for the improvement.
    An important part of the critique process is to offer specific advice on how to improve a photo. What do you think could have been done here to make this a better photo?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information