Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Please review

Please review

Hi Frnds,

Iam just starting with photography, I have a Canon PowerShot camers to start with. I have attached couple of snaps that I have taken recently.Please review them and let me know your comments.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please review-rose.jpg   Please review-img_29.jpg   Please review-img_19.jpg  

Re: Please review

For the first photo, I recommend keeping an eye on the background next time. But, with a Powershot, you may not have a lot of control on the depth of view. Still, you could change the perspective to deal with any undesirable background that may appear in the final photo.

The second and the third photo look kind of dark on my monitor. They look like they're under-exposed. But it may also be the way your camera handles a lighting situations like you had in order to prevent blown-highlights.

The second photo has the horizon pretty much cutting the photo into two half equally, one on top of the other. Some conventional wisdom would see it as a no-no. The third one has the horizon tilted. Again, it's a no-no to some. But, many photographers these days have a creative style and they will not hesitate to tilt their cameras anytime in anyway they want it.

As for composition, I think the first photo is OK. Well, my flower photos are kind of like that, too Hopefully, some experts here would give you better pointers on it. As far as the second and third ones go, sometimes it would be better if you include some foreground in those shots, as it could give a three dimensional feel to the photo. But then, I think you wanted to show the reflections...so. Anyhow, that's my take so far.

Welcome to the forum,

The first photo is overexposed and would have been better to increase the shutter speed and lower the F stop to the smallest it would go. I assume the powershot has exposure compensation and this is one way to help with the exposure setting for bright petals. If you have manual capability then start experimenting with this facility.

The two landscapes look as if they could do with a little post processing to adjust the levels and saturation. On the powershot use the landscape feature to set the camera up fo this type of shot. Make sure the horizon is level, the second shot is tilting to the right.

The composition of the bottom shot is a little to centered with the twigs in the middle. It may have been better to move to your right to get this photo, assuming that was possible.

Hope that helps

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I think the first pic can be manipulated a bit in photoshop to reduce the overexposure (too bright on some parts of the flower) since it's not so overexposed that the detail is lost. I would have zoomed out a bit so as to give the viewer a better idea of what's around it. For the second photo... I hate to be so frank... but there's nothing there to really look at. If you want the lake and the mountain and nothing else, then the photo would have to be taken at sundown or even on a less cloudy day. You can pump up saturation a bit in photoshop and pass it through a slight warming filter and you might have something though... For the third photo, keep the horizon STRAIGHT. You do that and your next set of photos will be so much better.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

wannabe

Welcome aboard. The only comment I have is was you trying to capture the reflexion of the clouds on the water? IF so you prob would be better off if you were on higher ground. Just keep shooting and posting. Dustin
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Thread Information