Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Please Help!!

Please Help!!

Re: Please Help!!

Hi,

I’m not quite sure what you are asking help with; a little more information would be helpful. This is a nice candid family photo but if you were going for something different I’m not sure it works. It is easy to see that the young girl is your subject however the background, (stuff on the counter, arm and shoulder) compete visually and become distracting to the subject. The focus could also be crisper on the girl. If you were going for a journalistic approach I would move the camera angle up or down and to the photographers right. This way you can include more of what she is doing and remove some of the distractions in the background. I am guessing she is coloring Easter eggs? It looks like you have some strong back light to the left so moving to the right you would need to either adjust exposure, (slow down your shutter speed or open up you aperture), or use fill flash. I’m not sure that answers your question but those are a couple of suggestions.

Regards,

Phil

It looks to me as if the shutter was too slow so a fill flash could help with the photo,

Some other things to note is that with children or pets it is worth considering getting down to their eye level otherswise your allways looking down on them. If you look at portraits the majority of the time they are at eye level, unless the person is looking up into the camera, or looking down into the camera.

The picture provided seems as if the shutter is to slow giving that soft appearance and needs speeding up. It also appears that the focus is not on the eyes.

Keep the items that are being used in the shot but try to get into a position where there is little clutter in the background or blur it out by reducing DOF.

Watch your exposure, if you have a histogram facility check it for exposure.

The last thing keep shooting and experimenting with the settings, it is the only way to learn.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

The natural light in this shot works very well as is. (In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend using flash seeing as it usually gives you very flat, artificial light.) But, next time, use a faster shutter speed and a tripod to avoid blur. Actually, the faster shutter speed forces you to select a wider aperture which would then give you a blurred background -- bonus. The softer background makes your subject stand out. By the way --- what a cute/photogenic subject. As Redingr suggested, keep shooting and experimenting. I know you'll eventually get some really amazing shots.

GB1

Not a bad shot. The girl could be sharper. Looks like a combination of camera shake and her moving that caused that. Set your ISO to a faster speed and shoot with a faster shutter to solve this.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information