Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Pine Cones

GB1

Pine Cones

Captured these while climbing a mountain called San Jacinto, near Palm Springs. I knew they were great photo material, but just couldn't come up with an idea on how to compose it (maybe it was altitude sickness). C&Cs welcome.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pine Cones-_dsc8361_crop1_px800.jpg   Pine Cones-_dsc8360_px800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Pine Cones

I like the second one better but have no suggestions as I've never been able to figure out a good composition for pine cones either. I do think the second is pretty good...exposure, dof, interest. I can almost smell the forest floor.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I found the pine cone in the foreground of the second photo too contrasty.

As for composition...would pine cones look better when they're on a tree?

Hi G,
    I like the two crisp images. I think shot 1 has more potential. I hope you explore the place again and compose the picture in a more patterned way. Thanks for sharing.
    yoyo

GB1

Thanks guys. On the tree? They would be too far away. I think these would look best in light snow, but then it would be coooooooold out. But maybe I'll go back in the wintertime.

Frog, being from Wa state I guess you see a lot of trees and such (you don't see as much in S. cali). I had forgotten what those smells were like

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information