Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

piggies and a banshee (flower shots)

Went to the gardens at the American Orchid Society this past Sunday and have WAY too many shots to process. These two are marginal at best, but I wonder if I should trash them or waste more time editing/re-editing the originals. Comments?

(The red ones look like little pig snouts to me, the white one has the appearance of an Irish banshee - or at least how I imagine it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails piggies and a banshee (flower shots)-piggiesdscf0137.jpg   piggies and a banshee (flower shots)-banshee.jpg  

Re: piggies and a banshee (flower shots)

I like them both. The first seems almost slightly too busy, maybe, it is hard for me to really pinpoint it though as I find the glowing edges of the flowers very distracting. Was that created in PP or original?

A strong inclination towards the second. Can we see it in color? Nice tight composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I like them both. The first seems almost slightly too busy, maybe, it is hard for me to really pinpoint it though as I find the glowing edges of the flowers very distracting. Was that created in PP or original?

A strong inclination towards the second. Can we see it in color? Nice tight composition.
    Here are the originals of both, straight out of the camera with no adjustments except resize:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails piggies and a banshee (flower shots)-origdscf0137.jpg   piggies and a banshee (flower shots)-origdscf0214.jpg  

I think that the red is just too bright on the first one.

For the second, the 'eyes' stand out much more in the colored version.

Just fooling around: Do you have the resolution to crop it down to just a 'face with a white hat' such as this? Note - the American Orchid Society probably would not approve.

TF

piggies and a banshee (flower shots)-face.jpg
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I like them both, though I tend to agree the first is a bit over-processed. The second one I like both in the BW and the color. And your descriptions are dead on for what they look like

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    I think that the red is just too bright on the first one.

For the second, the 'eyes' stand out much more in the colored version.

Just fooling around: Do you have the resolution to crop it down to just a 'face with a white hat' such as this? Note - the American Orchid Society probably would not approve.

TF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	67433
    Terry, I really like your crop even better than my own. It's a 12mp image so I should be just fine (the color version of "banshee" is a resize of the full image with no crop)

Thread Information