Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Picture of woman taking a picture

Haven't posted any pics in a while due to what I will called "delayed onset picture posting paranoia". (DOPPP-Syndrome) There is a lot of talent here and the more I lurk the more self critical I become about what I may want to post. The woman is my sister-in-law. She could crawl out from under a rock, get shot, and be put in a print ad. This was just a quick grab shot at fourth of July parade.

Picture of woman taking a picture-img_0407-1.jpg

Re: Picture of woman taking a picture

I hear you on the self critical thing. Unfortunately I think self-critical-ness only ever increases over time, even as your skill grows.

I do like the pic, great subject, she available? The problem I have with it is the b/g being too in focus - I checked exif and noticed you are using a digicam (Canon SX200), and at f/4. Basically meaning, there is nothing really you can do to have less b/g focus. If you have photoshop, you can select the b/g with a wand or something, and layer via copy, then add a 'gaussian blur' filter.

Here I tried an edit - this was a very sloppy 30 second job though and you could do a lot better if you spend even just 10 minutes with soft-edges on the full res original, hopefully it gives you an idea though.

The most bothersome background distraction here being the guy just to the right of her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture of woman taking a picture-img_0407-1x640.jpg  

Anbesol, thanks for the comments and the blur. I wasn't happy about the background either. I have (free) Picasa and Canon Zoombrowser only, I don't think I can do that.

Oh, and she is taken.

I agree with Anbesol, and I like his edits.

And post more! Then the rest of us with DOPPPS-Syndrome will feel more comfortable posting!
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

Thread Information