Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Smile Photos for Christmas Cards -3 pics Please Comment

I rented a small pack and a couple of strobes this past weekend to try and get some good shots for our Christmas cards this year. I would like to know what you think. The subject is our 15 month old son and one of the dog. Overall, I was very happy. I still need to tweak some of the exposures a bit. Both strobes were bounced off of white umbrellas. These were all resized so they wouldn't take too horribly long to load.

Last edited by AA20D; 11-30-2004 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Figured 7 pics were taking too long to load

Re: Photos for Christmas Cards -3 pics Please Comment

The second is very traditional and Christmasy, i'm sure grandparents will LOVE it.

I like the last shot of the dog. Except, i'd want more information in the scene, crop out the carpet and maybe a tree or a dumped box or something telling the story.

You might, for next time, want to keep in mind the rule of thirds and apply it to your background.

I'd love to see more if you want to share.

Thank you so much for the response. I was beginning to wonder if anyone would provide some feedback. As far as the dog goes, yes, I missed the composition. She normally doesn't sit well for posed shots, so I was happily clicking away. Here are 2 more.

The exposure is off a bit on the first one. He saw some ornaments he wanted and trotted off to get them. So I let him walk around a bit to explore and eventually he made his way back to my "set". I started calling his name early because I figured he would take another couple of steps before looking back at me like he always does. However, he stopped immediately and looked over his shoulder. He was about 1-2 feet closer to the strobes, so they blew out the side of his face. I haven't Photoshoped hte photo yet. After I got this shot, believe it or not, he went over and started to put the ornaments on the tree as in the first photo in my previous post.

The second one if your second post really made me smile. He's got a quizzical look going on, he seems to be saying "What?". Although the lamp thing to his right needs to cloned out, no offense but it'd give me nightmares.

I love the one of the dog. You could almost sell that one commercially.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information