Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Photo Effects

Photo Effects

Do you think that these effects help or hurt this picture? BTW, the colors are just as taken.... this little girl has just the most stunning eyes....

Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: Photo Effects

I see a lot of this photo retouching technique in local portrait studios and have never been a big fan of it. That's just me! However, in some cases, it might work when the composition requires a focal point. But in this case, your B&W photo is great and the eyes are definitely the focal point of the composition. In my opinion, the added colorizing detracts from the eyes. Beautiful photograph - without the spot color.
    Robert

So, maybe just leaving the eyes blue? Or leaving the whole picture b/w?
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by ChowChi-Ching
    So, maybe just leaving the eyes blue? Or leaving the whole picture b/w?
    May be just leaving the eyes blue.

I agree with freedom, I also think it would look better all B&W but, then again I think everything look better in B&W All joking aside, I think you are on the right track but could use some little tweaks. One thing that I notice is that the colors are nice and vivid while the B&W is kind of flat middle gray. This is causing the color to over power the rest of the shot. On that same note, the yellow clothing and hair piece are overpowering the blue of the eyes, so the first thing I notice is the clothing. Couple little tweaks I might do would be to desaturate the yellow a little, just enough so that it's not so overpowering yet, not enough to completely get rid of the color. The blue is at a nice level so I wouldn't touch that part of the eyes but, if you did some dodging to the whites of her eyes to make them more white instead of the grey they are now, the eyes would really pop. Last I would do a little selective dodging and burning to the B&W section to give it a bit more depth.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thanks! I will play with it tonight and see what I can come up with!!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

I think I would prefer a color edit. The B&W looks flat.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

MB1

You are suggesting a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    I agree with freedom, I also think it would look better all B&W but, then again I think everything look better in B&W All joking aside, I think you are on the right track but could use some little tweaks. One thing that I notice is that the colors are nice and vivid while the B&W is kind of flat middle gray. This is causing the color to over power the rest of the shot. On that same note, the yellow clothing and hair piece are overpowering the blue of the eyes, so the first thing I notice is the clothing. Couple little tweaks I might do would be to desaturate the yellow a little, just enough so that it's not so overpowering yet, not enough to completely get rid of the color. The blue is at a nice level so I wouldn't touch that part of the eyes but, if you did some dodging to the whites of her eyes to make them more white instead of the grey they are now, the eyes would really pop. Last I would do a little selective dodging and burning to the B&W section to give it a bit more depth.
    But I think you have the right idea-the eyes are the essence of the image, not the dress and hair band.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Everything looks real good here other than the selective coloring. Either all b&w or just leave the eyes,, or, straight color.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information