Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

peat bogs somewhere in Poland...

Judge these photos, please. Which is better in your opinion?
    peat bogs somewhere in Poland...-peat-bog1.jpg

peat bogs somewhere in Poland...-peat-bog2.jpg

Re: peat bogs somewhere in Poland...

The second one is the nicest of the two. it looks as if big cotton grows wild there as it does in our peat bogs in Ireland.
    There is a dreadful green cast expecially on the first one and a bit of messing about with the saturation would help it out.
    Nice to have some one from Poland on the forum. My wife and one of my daughters enjoyed your country earlier last year.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I like the second one. Why is it that ever photo I see from you has a green wash. are you using a green filter or something?
    I suggest you pick some and get them professionally printed and see if they look different than they do on your screen. If they are very different you may want to calibrate your screen

I agree the second is the nicer of the two. I think the green cast is intentional from something i read in one of your posts, the fact that all your images have this green tint, and also your screen name.
    Personally, i can appreciate the color green alot more when it is offset and contrasted against different hues and colors. Another words, too much of one thing sometimes ruins the thing . . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hi Thanks for all comments

Overbeyond - yes - Polish peat bogs are great. I live in southern Poland and here we have only few of them, very little. In northern Poland are bigger. So can I ask what part of Poland are you writing about in your comment?

Shooter tiff/gahspidy - no I am not using any green filters. I think Poland is quite a green country still. And... well.. I took all these pictures in one landscape park so it must be green there. I have never thought I am taking too green pictures. On the contrary - I have always thought - "green colour is everywhere"...hmmm...

Anyway thanks for clues to consider

g.

I did a quick edit on one of your photos, I reset the black and white points for better color balance. The blue channel is significantly lacking when I concentrate on the white flowers in PS. When I got the white flowers nearer to true white the rest of the photo balanced out and displayed more naturally.
    Pure white should display as R256 G256 B256, now the flowers aren't necessarily pure white but I try to find a portion of the flower that is very close to pure white. The whitest part of the flowers I could find were R243 G253 B206, that supports the greenish cast I and others see in your photos. When I balance the whites I get a photo that looks a lot more natural.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

MB1

Of the two images I like the second the most as the calm water and reflections provide some interest in the foreground.

I agree that the color seems to be too yellow/green. For me the sky should be blue and it isn't in these images.
    No, I DON'T need that.

I also like the second image, the first image has some glare or lens flare due to the sun.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

The second image has great potential, especially is the location can be revisited.

Maybe if taken at a lower viewpoint zoomed into to a couple of flowers with reflections, a great picture good could be produced.

James

Thanks for all your clues. I am very worried, however, some of you claim, I spoilt the picture number 2. Hmm.... I will go there this spring and try to re-shot the place once more. To make it full of colours and very interesting.

Thanks for your comments

green.

Quote Originally Posted by green_me
    Thanks for all your clues. I am very worried, however, some of you claim, I spoilt the picture number 2. Hmm.... I will go there this spring and try to re-shot the place once more. To make it full of colours and very interesting.

Thanks for your comments

green.
    No you didn't spoil the picture #2, the white balance is off. If you do a little post processing like setting the white and black points add a little curves for contrast an you get a photo that is much more natural looking.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thanks for your good words. Really. The colours on these two pictures above are in fact bit too pale. But maybe it can be improved somehow... made better... I have to check it

In the meantime - another peat bog. I will send here some more my pictures with peat bogs.
    I have many of them. I also hope this one will not be as green as others seem to be... :idea:

Be careful when you want to shoot peat bogs and never walk into the moss-surface.
    Use only marked (safe) paths there. Or foot-bridges (if any).

peat bogs somewhere in Poland...-peat_bog3.jpg

green.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Still pretty green but better.
    What editing program do you use.
    I took your first shot to photoshop elements 5 and did a 'remove color cast' To do this I clicked on 'enhance', 'adjust color', 'remove color cast'. I then clicked on a few areas of your pic until I thought it looked a bit better.
    What do you think?
    After posting it here, I deleted it from my files.
    Hope you don't mind.
    Oops.....should have clicked somewhere else in the pic as it turned the sky pink......sorry, it didn't look pink before I loaded it here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peat bogs somewhere in Poland...-peat-bog1.jpg  
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hello frog

Your (in fact it is my) picture has quite different colours now.Fact. Are they better? Truly speaking hard to say cause I didn't see any peat-bog in colours that you produced. My local peat-bogs donot have such colours. Well... but for sure I will look into them more thoroughly when the proper time will come at last again. In the meantime - two next shots with my local peat bogs. One should be bit red because of big amounts of Drosera rotundifolia (I hope it isn't green) and the other is bit white cause it shows white Ledum palustre flowers growing in the dark peat-bog pine-thicket. OK. I hope you will like these two pictures of mine

Thanks for your clues... frog

peat bogs somewhere in Poland...-drosera-rotundifolia-peatbog.jpg

peat bogs somewhere in Poland...-ledum-palustre-peatbog-forest.jpg

PS1. I should have written Frog not frog - sorry.
    PS2. I am afraid my pictures are hopelessly green again
    I will try to change it soon maybe not for red colour only for ...less green. Just less green.

Thanks for all your clues
    green.

i hope you realize by green we don't mean that the majority of the shot is green plants. but that the sky and other colors have a greenish hue to them.

it is ok to have a picture full of green plants. as long as the white balance is correct and the non green colors are correct.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i think you may have to get your monitor calibrated... if the colors of your images look correct to you, then something is definitely wrong. Dylan's right.

We're not saying that the plants shouldn't be green, but that the whole image has a cast that shouldn't be there. even a picture of green grass should have some blue and red values in it.

GB1

I like both for different reasons. The first has a more interesting background. The second has the nice graduated blue water. Both are fine for what they are.

In another million years, this will all be coal.....

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information