Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Passage

The Passage

Any thoughts, aside from the distracting fire extinguisher box on the left side? The apartment manager and owner requested a print.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Passage-hallway_web_thread.jpeg  

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: The Passage

Great tones! And dof. My biggest complaint is not the fire extinguisher but the bright ceiling lights and hot spots on the walls.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Very interesting shot. I suppose you could always try to clone out the extinguisher box. I like the tone and contrast to the shot. Is it an old building? I think it would make a wonderful print.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Thanks gentlemen. I was concerned with the hotspots and the box. I can have the manager remove the box, reshoot and make ajustments on exposure settting. It was difficult to get a good balance with tones and contrast from the bright helogen lights. I thought of using an Graduated ND or Polarizer filter! Yes, this building is about 50+ years old.
    Last edited by cyberphotography; 03-24-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Mark,
    I think that is an awesome shot. I very much like the geometric symetry and rythm in it. Yes there are hot-spots, and I'm usually sensitive to them. But, here they add to the sureal look. I also don't mind the fire extinguisher. To me it also makes the shot real and not a photoshop fabrication.

I think it's just outstanding!
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Mark,

I love it. I can't say I'd change anything. The symmetry is perfect and the tones are bang on.

Great shot,

Jared

I also don't care for the ceiling lights, but only the ones at the very forefront. The others have a nice sparkle to them. The rest of it is great!! I really like how the light and almost-shadows alternate. Almost like being underwater.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

My first impression when I opened this up was, "wow". I love the symmetry and depth of the shot. I have to admit that I did not immediately see the fire extinguisher.

FWIW, and not that it would be better or worse, but I was just imagining what it would look like if there were no photos hanging whatsoever. Don't know how easy they would come off but it would definitely give it a different mood. As it is, I catch myself trying to see what the photos are within your photo.

Just a thought.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Tonality and symetry are right on. I'm in agreement about the hot spots. Good luck with the re-shoot.
    John

drg

I made most of my comments in the Gallery section but would add there may be a little too much foreground and the top compared to the floor. Perhaps a little bit of contrast increase?

Overall this is a really good photo, glad you posted it here as well in the Galleries.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The symmetry is great.
    An example for the "why is centred not good" thread because here - it is good !

The light spots on the wall are fine, they are there to illuminate the pictures on the wall.
    Having said that, the picture without illumination just in front of the extinguisher box on the left stands out as not illuminated, and the white spot on the right side opposite it stands out for not having a picture in it !
    Just sort those lights out

the pools of light on the corridoor floor break up the monotony, which is good.

Without the extinguisher box, there will be no blacks, so maybe there's room to increase contrast. Definitely do some burning on the ceiling lights, just bring them down a tad, but don't touch the light on the walls and floor.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information