Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Paint Daubed Roses

Played around with some Photoshop filter effects, tried to make some recent macro flower images appear more "painterly" in appearance...Do they work as semi fine arts photography?

Re: Paint Daubed Roses

Hmmm...I'm looking at these again...I sort of (filled with bias) like them...are they too run of the mill to illicit response? (Beginner trying to learn 0

I think the first is the strongest of the set. I think it would look great real big and on the wall. I like the tight crop and that you didn't over saturate. I think the DOF and exposure is spot on and I also like the splash of green at the bottom. Nicely done.

I'm distracted by the leaf in the second one to the point that it turns me off to the rest of the shot. The third would be better, IMO, if you didn't crop the top of the flower off.

All are much better than any flower shots I've ever done.

What PSing did you do? The petals look fat and milky.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    I think the first is the strongest of the set. I think it would look great real big and on the wall. I like the tight crop and that you didn't over saturate. I think the DOF and exposure is spot on and I also like the splash of green at the bottom. Nicely done.

I'm distracted by the leaf in the second one to the point that it turns me off to the rest of the shot. The third would be better, IMO, if you didn't crop the top of the flower off.

All are much better than any flower shots I've ever done.

What PSing did you do? The petals look fat and milky.
    That was a very thoughtful and detailed response....Thank you. Using (learning)PS2, I think the crop on #3 was accidental, cropped within the camera...Your thoughts are much appreciated, this is how I will learn to become a better shutterbug.

The first image takes my vote as well, great exposure overall and the depth of field works very effectively. Look forward to seeing more from you.

Thread Information