Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    MB1

Paddleboard Sunset

It didn't hurt that there was a bit of a brush fire smoking up the sky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paddleboard Sunset-p1241214.jpg  
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

Re: Paddleboard Sunset

This mostly works for me MB. Great color and her overall position of rowing is interesting to me. Good person to environment ratio too. It seems to be a little sharper than your previous posts on this setting. Can't help but wonder what the b&W would look like too.

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

MB1

B&w

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    This mostly works for me MB. Great color and her overall position of rowing is interesting to me. Good person to environment ratio too. It seems to be a little sharper than your previous posts on this setting. Can't help but wonder what the b&W would look like too.

gb
    I didn't think B&W would do because the colors are so great but you know what?

It isn't bad at all.....

Who knew?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paddleboard Sunset-p1241214_2.jpg  
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

Yes, not bad at all. Converting to black and white lets one evaluate the shapes more impartially. The only thing I think I'd do w/ the B&W version is crop in a little. Also, on this screen, it seems a little softer. I would try seeing how much sharpening you can apply before it hits the artifact limit (I looked at this post last night on my smart phone).

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Beautiful color, nicely composed.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

mmmmmmmmmm nice.
    The colour one especially, I can't see a reason to use B&W in a beautiful display like that.
    I nearly tagged it as a contender for sports potw then realised it is in the wrong forum.

I might crop it from the right, see that break in the colour of the horizon cloud?
    I'd crop to there becuase it puts the wake from the board in the corner, a good place for that strong diagonal line, and then it recomposes slightly more to the golden ratio - not totally, not a must be on the thirds thing, but it is an additional side effect from adding in that diagonal element coming from the corner.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

MB1

Rule of thirds crop.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    mmmmmmmmmm nice.
    The colour one especially, I can't see a reason to use B&W in a beautiful display like that.
    I nearly tagged it as a contender for sports potw then realised it is in the wrong forum.

I might crop it from the right, see that break in the colour of the horizon cloud?
    I'd crop to there becuase it puts the wake from the board in the corner, a good place for that strong diagonal line, and then it recomposes slightly more to the golden ratio - not totally, not a must be on the thirds thing, but it is an additional side effect from adding in that diagonal element coming from the corner.
    You got it!

BTW, I've got a better set for the sports forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paddleboard Sunset-p1241214_3.jpg  
    No, I DON'T need that.

I am new here and to photography, so I can't really speak to composition, but I can tell you about the emotions it evokes. The calmness of the water is contrasted by the vivid, vibrant colors of the sky, and I feel drawn into the picture with the paddle boarder. In fact, if I listen close enough I can almost hear the strokes of the paddle rippling through the water!

Nice job!

Thread Information