Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Pacing Tiger

Pacing Tiger

From the Houston Zoo. Caught this guy pacing back and forth. He made it easy for me to get just the right shot.

Canon 10D
    75 mm (28-135 mm, IS)
    1/180 @ f/6.7

Thanks,
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Excellent shot Paul. The bamboo and green grass really adds to this composition.
    Cory
    <a href="http://www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=up&pi=SIERRA4MEE" target="_blank">My portfolio</a>

Excellent shot. I like the colors and sharpness. And the relection is not overpowering...just right.
    Good job.

jeff
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

I have been thinking about your photo for some time. The colours are obviously sensational as is the sharpness (as mentioned above). To begin with something bothered me about the photo - the lack of space around the animal and the straight line through the centre of the pic - I was looking for more space above and around him. However, having said that, I got to thinking... you mentioned that he was pacing back and forwards and being in a Zoo he would definately be confined, trapped. You have (intentionally or unintentionally) captured that sense in your photo - he can only go back and forth so far. So... to cut a long story short - I think your photo is great!

Fran

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wolf
    From the Houston Zoo. Caught this guy pacing back and forth. He made it easy for me to get just the right shot.

Canon 10D
    75 mm (28-135 mm, IS)
    1/180 @ f/6.7

Thanks,
    Paul
    well, i like the image overall. but it seems too saturated in the tiger's color and could use more room to move into.

but as previously mentioned, zoo image/confined animal ... you caught the moment
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks to all for your comments and very helpful criticisms. I had this thing posted on another site and got nothing but rave reviews. I didn't trust 'em, so I posted here to see if I could get more thoughtful critiques. And, not surprisingly, you folks came through.

Paul, Fran: I do have more room on the right. I will see if I can improve the composition by including more of it. I think you guys hit on what was bothering me about this. Something made me uncomfortable.

Jeff, Sierra: Thanks for your comments, as well. I'm glad you liked the shot. Maybe I can even make it better.

Again, thanks to all.

Paul

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Love the reflection.

Thread Information