Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Oracle

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Cool Oracle

I was in Redwood city, came across this Amazing complex.Corporate H.Q. for ORACLE.
    2nd. photo is behind me at Redwood marina estates.
    I think it could have been a little sharper. I used a bean bag
    [no tripod] , high ISO ? .What do you think?:idea:

I feel that this camera should provide crisp low light shots? Is this too much to expect at these iso settings {400} Would f/stop vary the sharpness? Again I had no tripod.

Lense; SIGMA 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG macro

settings @ 28mm 2 sec f/3.5 iso 400
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oracle-oracle-s.jpg   Oracle-reflections.jpg  

Re: Oracle

The advantage of a tri-pod is you can make exposures at lower iso's and have better detail.

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

GB1

Not bad for the situation. But are you might know, a night photographer w/o a tripod, that's prob like a soldier w/o a rifle huh? I like the top shot the best. The symmetry is neat and I like the lack of negative space, it forces me to look at what's there. I also like how no one area of the buildings draw my attention too much.. In this situation, it just seems that not having a strong central place to look at works best. -GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

yes, f stops will vary sharpness, but all lenses are different. you have to find your lenses' sweet spots for maximum sharpness. It's usually somewhere around f/8. Also something to think about is whether you were actually focused on the right thing when photographing. A lot of time in low light, a camera can lock onto the wrong thing. oh and i noticed you're using a sigma 28-300. It's not your camera that determines the sharpness of a shot, it's the lens. that lens isn't what i would exactly call sharp, especially wide open. but still, try to find that sweet spot.

drg

Glad to see you are experimenting with the D80 and enjoying it(I hope)!

The photos are probably underexposed by about a stop. Check your histogram to get the best exposure you can get. The joy of digital is that the tools in the camera and virtually unlimited free exposures can aid you in producing the photograph you want to make.

The Sigma 28-300 is notorious for having ranges where it doesn't produce the same quality of image as at others. Wide open at the short end of the zoom isn't going to produce the clearest images. Really bright light and AF working at optimum it will do some better. You will be better at f7+ on this lens, particularly at 28mm end. Should you want more details, PM me (I will get back to you, been super busy for a couple of week).

When taking night shots like this, locking up the mirror and then releasing the shutter via timer or remote (I'm not that familiar with the new D80) will produce a better photo. Of course that is on a mount/rest/tripod/etc. When you said bean bag, did you mean the camera was being supported totally by the bag or you were using it as a rest while releasing the shutter? Releasing the shutter manually(no remote release or timer) below 1/20th without IS will move the camera sufficiently to be seen in the image.

Looking forward to more photos. Need I worry, nah!

By the way, you are right this is a very photogenic corporate campus. Some great structures/sculptures tucked away as well. If you can get a tour, it is worth the time. Ellison(CEO) has an eclectic mind regarding art and structure.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information