Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

One last one ...

Hi all .. this is the second (and last) of my British Museum images (the other is the thread "Does this work?")

This one is a gallery just off the central court, where the other one was taken. It is an Easter Island statue. The entrance, to me, looked like the entrance to a temple and it is this which I have tried to emphasise. That is why I desaturated all except the statue itself.

I don't think it is as strong as the other one, but I quite like it on its own terms.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One last one ...-easter-jpg-forum.jpg  
    Last edited by Didache; 02-09-2007 at 01:59 PM.

MB1

Re: One last one ...

The image lookes a little tilted to the left and the black above the door frame bothers me. The color in the center isn't bold enough to justify doing the photo that way and the head doesn't really draw me into the picture. I also wish those "directions" wern't there.

Your "feet" shot is a lot more successful.

I agree with MB1 but feel it is an effect image. My nit is the crop. I would like to see what it looks like when cropped at the top to entry way eliminating the three panes at the top. Nice work.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

The problem is that the statue is not big enough or close enough to the viewer to have sufficient visual impact. The only way to compress the distance to the statue would have been to back up, use telephoto and crop as much as you can while still getting the "temple entrance".

I would also photoshop out the donation signs and the people.

Ronnoco
    Last edited by Ronnoco; 02-10-2007 at 08:19 AM.
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Not bad. I agree that taking out the signs would certainly improve and is easy enough to do. I would leave the people in. ( did I say that?) I personally do not feel that having the statue in color is effective. It almost looks like you cut it out of another image and pasted it in. I would either reduce the saturation alot, or go all b&w. Also, the crop from the top would improve and then a little from each side of the columns. i like the picture but feel these things could improve it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks guys for the feedback - I had my doubts about the framing and the donation signs which you have confirmed. I will fiddle with it and see what I can do. Also, it is the first time I have attracted the attention of Ronnoco - I was feeling left out there (just kidding!)

Cheers
    Mike

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

I think the donation signs are part of the museum experience, so they should stay. The image is tilted a bit, and I would fix that, and has a little bit of pincushion distortion, but those are easy things to fix. The selective color works well to clearly define the subject.

Thanks Brent for your feedback too. I too prefer the colour of the statue, because it does not have sufficient prominence otherwise. The donation signs are a matter of taste I suppose although I agree that they are a part of the museum experience (the British Museum is free and always has been).

I have cloned out the black glass at the top though and corrected some of the distortion. Version 2 is attached!

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One last one ...-easter_edited-5-jpg.jpg  

Whether the donation signs are part of the museum experience or not, they still distract the eye of the viewer from the statue and because of that they don't belong visually in the photo.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

MB1

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    ..............I have cloned out the black glass at the top though and corrected some of the distortion. Version 2 is attached!

Cheers
    Mike
    I think this is an improvement overall from the first try. As far as the "Donation" signs; now they sort of look like the figure is demanding donations and they add a little something to the image so keep them. I also like the blurred visitors so I say keep them in.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    I think this is an improvement overall from the first try. As far as the "Donation" signs; now they sort of look like the figure is demanding donations and they add a little something to the image so keep them. I also like the blurred visitors so I say keep them in.
    Anybody who has seriously studied history would find that very humourous but not believable.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Well personally i agree with Ron on this one... although it could be considered a matter of taste, this is not something that was intended...it does not feel so anyway...

The way i see it, you wanted to have the pillars on both sides of the entrance to give this feeling of "grandeur" to the statue and importance.... What i see when i look at the picture is an entrance to a museum... i know it is a museum, because of the color of the statue (nice touch by the way)....

What i am trying to say is , What is your subject here? Is it the entrance?? Or the statue framed by the entrance?? or something else? Accordingly, we then could say whether the signs are better in or out!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

I think what bothers me is that it wasn't shot straight on, creating a lean look. I feel the signs on the sides are also a distraction.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information