Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Which one?

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Which one?

I need some extra eyes for this one. I'm making a postcard handout for me to give out to one of my dog groups. Which should I choose? All input welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which one?-cooper-flowers.jpg   Which one?-cooper-2.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Re: Which one?

I like the one on the left (the first one). It is at eye level and the surrounding compliment but don't over power. There is something very 'Americana' about it.

You are looking down on the other photo and the shadow on the dog's face takes away detail. Cute picture though.

This is a very good looking dog.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

i like the one on the right even thow it does look a bit fisheye.. the fence kinda spoils the other one.. they are both okay thow..

trog

DEFINITELY the one with the fence. The dog has so much more mood and presence. I think the fence ADDS to the picture. In fact, without it, I don't think the picture would be as strong. What it's saying to me right now is: "I'm sad because the humans don't want to play with me, so they put me behind this fence so I wouldn't make a mess." I love it! The other photograph doesn't do much for me.

MB1

While the "Sad Dog" may or may not be slightly better technically (to me there is too little contrast in that image) I'm thinking a "Dog Group" isn't going to want to see a photo of a sad dog.

I would go for a tighter crop of the photo with the tongue out. Get rid of everything but the head and I think you will have a winner there.

Thanks for the input so far everyone! This is exactly what I was looking for, although it seems I still don't have a consensus. At least I am validated in all the arguments I am having with myself over these.

MB - Here is a cropped version of "Happy" taken from the same sequence. I just love the look on his face in this one.

Molaselake - Thanks for your input. I really like the fence image too. I see a sort of maudlin poetic look on his face that says "Dear me I have been discovered sitting in your flower beds again."

Trog - Thanks for taking the time to opine. :thumbsup:

Manacsa - Thank you for your critique. The fence image was done as a set up portrait, but the Happy one was done as an "in the moment" shot. And Cooper thanks you for the compliment. His nick name around the house is "the Handsome Prince" and he loves being set up for the camera. He's a Plott Hound but I think he might be part Weirmeriner, cause he's such a poser! :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which one?-happy.jpg  
    Asheville Photographer

MB1

Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst
    ........ Here is a cropped version of "Happy" taken from the same sequence. I just love the look on his face in this one................
    That is a much stronger image, I like it.

MB1
    Cropping fool.

GB1

I certainly favor # 2. The expression makes the shot, imho, and I really like the DOF you used although I think that the chest and legs could have been a tad more in focus. But the eyes (and tongue) are right on, which is the most important part of the portrait.

The first shot is also interesting btw, but it seems like he's sitting in a cemetary. Those fence posts look like gravestones that is ......... Somehow I immediately think of Steven King here
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks MB1!

GB, I can always count on you for a totally honest first impression response, which I find quite valuable. Thanks for taking the time ~ a variation of #2 is what went out on the cards. I can see the "pet cemetary", creepy thing happening in this too.:devil: But I wonder if it's because his face looks so forlorn? He looks so uncomfortable because I made him sit and stay in the flower bed which is totally verboten to our dogs. I'm such a meanie.
    Asheville Photographer

Thread Information