Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    lumbering along at a decent pace...

Old Salem Interior

This shot was taken last Thanksgiving in the Single Men's Home at Old Salem in Winston-Salem, NC. I particularly like the warmth of the colors in the shot and how the natural light coming through the old window creates a very soft glow. Taken with Kodak HD 400 on my Nikon N80.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Salem Interior-11-29-03-old-salem-interior-small.jpg  

the use of natural light in this shot does it for me. i especially like the light on the bookshelf. very nice. was this a handheld shot? what was the shutter speed?
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

Ugh--I need to remember...

I took this shot twice. Both were handheld using a Tokina 30-70/f2.8 lens--I braced myself up aginst a doorjamb. I'm pretty sure this is the shot where I spot metered on the table and opened up the aperture. I think the lens speed was 60 and the aperture was wide open at 2.8. I metered off the window on the other shot and the interior was a little underexposed and off color (a little green).

Thanks for asking!

Very nice job of capturing "the mood" of the place. My only suggestion: I would rework the existing photo a bit more by using the Perspective Correction tools in Photoshop, in order to straighten out that cabinet a bit. You should be able to make it "stand up straight" without distorting its appearance too much. Otherwise, it's pretty much perfect for the goal you were describing.
    Last edited by PuckJunkey; 02-18-2004 at 06:39 PM.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

This is a really nice shot. I like the mood and the warm colors. I think it's a little soft, but that does add something to the mood, it's not too soft. I agree with the suggestion about using the perspective tool to straighten the cabinet. One other thing I maght try is cropping a little closer to the table on the right, maybe just inside the thing on the wall. Nice work!
    Lou

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

PuckJunkie:

I've never heard of persective correction in Photoshop. I'll give it a whirl. As for the cabinet, I think it actually was leaning like that--the floor in the room is over 200 years old...:-)

Thanks for the comments.

Lou:

I agree it's a little soft. That seems to have been an artifact of scanning, converting to jpg and reducing the size of the file. I use Paint Shop Pro for my photos, but I didn't really manipulate the picture at all for this forum. I just scanned it and converted it.

Funny that you mentioned cropping the pic. I did exactly what you suggested when I printed it in 8x10 and framed it. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the composition.

Quote Originally Posted by merckxman
    PuckJunkie:

I've never heard of persective correction in Photoshop. I'll give it a whirl. As for the cabinet, I think it actually was leaning like that--the floor in the room is over 200 years old...:-)

*lol* Well, that's true isn't it? Hadn't thought of it that way. If it was as such, don't do a thing to it; it's perfect in that case. But in general, Edit | Transform | Perspective is one of my favorite tools in Photoshop. No architectural or interior photographer should "leave home without it".

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information