Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Old Bethlehem Steel Mill

Learned a great deal from posting my first landscape shot here, so figured I'd give it another go:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Bethlehem Steel Mill-steel12.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 02-04-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Unsticking thread

Re: Old Bethlehem Steel Mill

I know that scene I used to live and work not far from there....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Well, the sky colour is rather strange and washed out in the top centre area. A polarizer or graduated neutral density filter would have helped considerably. Automatically metering the brightness of the sky made the mill and the foreground too dark and lacking in detail and colour. This can be improved in Photoshop but the shapes against the sky would make it quite difficult and time consuming.

Ronnoco

I like this scene very much as it is. There IS a weird color throughout the picture, but i feel it works to the good of the image in that it creates a certain mood that goes well with this overall picture. I agree the sky is very bright, and blowing out near the top, but again, this for me is an asset to the overall feel of the image. I see lots of detail in the Mill, enough for me to keep looking about. I would imagine that in a larger print with some sharpening, there would be lots to look at.
    I would suggest cropping that last smoke stack sneaking into the frame on the right. The image looks like it can benefit from a bit of sharpening, but other than those suggestions for improvement, I think you have a fine picture here. Good work
    Last edited by gahspidy; 01-29-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. Jan. 30, 2007
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Yep, i would definitely agree with Gary on this one, but i would add that the blown out part of the sky does bother me a bit....but not enough to take me away from the photo...

I really like this imge and the mood it gives...great work

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

GB1

I'm not sure the sky is more interesting than what you might have gotten by adding more foreground? Sometimes the fields around this plants etc are really part of the story..... And I think that might have been the case here.

Did you get in close and get any shots of the interesting looking left side building, or the plant ? Seems worthy! GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

so where does the overall pink cast come from and is it iintentional.. ??

i think u have the framing about right and the subject looks interesting.. but..

trog

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Well, the sky colour is rather strange and washed out in the top centre area. A polarizer or graduated neutral density filter would have helped considerably. Automatically metering the brightness of the sky made the mill and the foreground too dark and lacking in detail and colour. This can be improved in Photoshop but the shapes against the sky would make it quite difficult and time consuming.

Ronnoco
    The color is a result of my inpetness in PP. Your comments are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I'm not sure the sky is more interesting than what you might have gotten by adding more foreground? Sometimes the fields around this plants etc are really part of the story..... And I think that might have been the case here.

Did you get in close and get any shots of the interesting looking left side building, or the plant ? Seems worthy! GB
    I tried to get picture from the north side, but access is very limited and blocked by trees. I did discover a jogging path, so I'm going back. There is fencing around the perimeter of the property so unless I can gain access (legally) my shooting positions are somewhat limited.

I included the sky because I wanted to get the tops of the stacks, but I see what you mean about the field. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I like this scene very much as it is. There IS a weird color throughout the picture, but i feel it works to the good of the image in that it creates a certain mood that goes well with this overall picture. I agree the sky is very bright, and blowing out near the top, but again, this for me is an asset to the overall feel of the image. I see lots of detail in the Mill, enough for me to keep looking about. I would imagine that in a larger print with some sharpening, there would be lots to look at.
    I would suggest cropping that last smoke stack sneaking into the frame on the right. The image looks like it can benefit from a bit of sharpening, but other than those suggestions for improvement, I think you have a fine picture here. Good work
    Crop done. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusK
    Yep, i would definitely agree with Gary on this one, but i would add that the blown out part of the sky does bother me a bit....but not enough to take me away from the photo...

I really like this imge and the mood it gives...great work

Marc
    Thank you. I noticed the blown out sky as well, but didn't know how to correct it. In order not to mess up the picture, I posted as is.

I would not change the color on this. It struck me as interesting and fitting upon my first impression and still does. I think it could use a bit of unsharp mask to sharpen the image a bit. There can be improvements to be had on this in PP, but I don't think it is hurting, so I would not fix it.

gary

very nice. looks like you took over the sticky spot. very much deserved.
    I don't want it, I just need it...to breath ...to feel ...to know I'm alive.

Quote Originally Posted by afdlips
    very nice. looks like you took over the sticky spot. very much deserved.
    Thank you. I noticed the "sticky" designation, but not sure what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by stefeb
    Thank you. I noticed the "sticky" designation, but not sure what that means.
    It means that your photo has been selected for the featured photo of the week. "Sticky" also means that your thread will remain at the top.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    It means that your photo has been selected for the featured photo of the week. "Sticky" also means that your thread will remain at the top.
    Wow. Who whudda thunk?

If anyone was looking for an example of beginners luck, here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by stefeb
    Wow. Who whudda thunk?

If anyone was looking for an example of beginners luck, here it is.
    thats what i said when i saw mine up their lol.
    I don't want it, I just need it...to breath ...to feel ...to know I'm alive.

Nice work and well deserved. Congrats..
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

My father worked there for 30 years, so it's always with a bit of nostalgia and sadness when I view images from there. The photo...you've got a great viewpoint and excellent detail, but the sky's tint ruins the shot for me. The blown-out part of the sky doesn't bother me, though, and I think this would have been stronger as a b&w. It's all a matter of taste in the end, and this one doesn't work for me as is, sorry.

this was taken from a fantastic angle and creates alot of intrique and tension. i wouldn't change a single thing about this....it stands on it's own as is. congratulations on the picture of the week!!!!! wonderful photo!!

Thread Information