Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Old Barn Abstract

Well, actually I think this building was probably an old tobacco shed or something like that. I started out shooting with all of the building in the frame and it just wasn't doing it for me, so I tried some close up abstract stuff. I thought it might look good in B&W but in the end I am leaning towards the color version. Any and all critiques on either will be much appreciated.

Take care,
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Barn Abstract-barn-abstract-2-600.jpg   Old Barn Abstract-barn-abstract-600.jpg  

Just Lurking

Re: Old Barn Abstract

Joe - You have an interesting subject here. I think I would lean toward the B&W because you get a better feel for the texture in the wood and it portrays the age better. I'm a little bothered by the strong vertical line down the middle of the shot - it splits the image in two. Did you take any where the joint is at more of a diagonal?

Thanks,

PC

you really did well. i like the colored one. . good! you made some close up. the abstarct skin on the wood made the whole photography nice!
    Strike a pose and smile...I enjoy capturing great moments...
    Photography, then cooking

Thanks PC and quickpose. I did not take of these on an angle. Perhaps I could try this the next time I visit this spot. Thanks for the feedback.

I think if you want to make it an abstract, you would do better if you get even closer. Right now, I can see some texture on some part of the wooden wall, but it's a bit too far away to appreciate it. Probably has to do with the lighting though...I mean, not really the right lighting to showcase the texture.

Great thinking in going for isolating interesting areas of the bigger picture. I like the color version alot better, but both are very good. The only thing irking me here is that the corner is right in the middle somewhat cutting the image in half. I would consider cropping a bit from the right and making the image into a square. this brings the corner over to one side a bit.
    I think what i like most about the color version is the warm side on the left opposed to the cooler tones on the right
    good work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like the warm colors of the first one. I keep thinking a carving or bent nail would help. Though I am not sure? I like the angle and the exposure and dof. Nice image. I like it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information