Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Working K-9

Working K-9

Took this while attending a dog training session. It was taken with my Nikon D3100 and the lens used is a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g telephoto lens. Thank you for looking.

Working K-9-9349824525_2126f7558c_o.jpgWorking K-9-9349824397_de56a73f83_o.jpgWorking K-9-9352604310_1a7734a34b_o.jpg

Re: Working K-9

Interesting set Barbie, I think shots 2 & 3 suffer a bit with the stuff in the back ground, the solid red in 1 is quite good but I think it needs all the dogs head. Number 3 if you could clone out the cones would be my pick of these.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I agree with hminx. I think you did a good job in general with these photos. But the backgrounds in the second two are a little distracting. Were you watching the backgrounds when you took them? Were you able to move around the dogs or move them so you could better control the backgrounds or did you just have to do your best, working around the activity?

A bigger question - what was your goal with these photos? Were you looking for a specific photo or were you just experimenting with the subject? The biggest issue for me with these photos is I don't get a good feel for what's happening - without your description, anyway. I'm not sure if you wanted to make dog portraits or document the event. And because I can't tell, I'm guessing maybe you didn't have a clear idea when you went into this. Is that correct? I'm guessing that if you'd gone into it with a stronger idea of what you wanted to get out of it, you probably would have had stronger images. Not that these are bad. But conceptually, I think they could be stronger.

A lot of the time our criticism is very technical / surface level. But I think stepping back a bit and thinking about motivation and our goals can make a bigger difference than analyzing compostion, exposure, color, etc. The more we understand ourselves and the more defined our photographic goals are, the stronger our photos will be.

I hope that helps
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Its looking nice,thanx for sharing.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that the 3rd one's background actually enhances the pic by giving it context. If these really are "working" K-9s, then you get a feeling for the obstacle course / training aspect.
    The future of optics is here. www.algolux.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Algolux View Post
    I'm gonna go against the grain and say that the 3rd one's background actually enhances the pic by giving it context. If these really are "working" K-9s, then you get a feeling for the obstacle course / training aspect.
    I thought about that when I posted the first time and I think you're right. I guess I just wish she went further and there was more context. Thanks for adding your critique and welcome to the site
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm new here, but I have to agree with Daniel in that the cones in the background give a sort of context to the scene. Even with them there I think the Doberman has little competition for the viewers interest.

Thread Information