Working K-9

Printable View

• 11-15-2013, 08:29 AM
    Barbiej64
    3 Attachment(s)
    Working K-9
    Took this while attending a dog training session. It was taken with my Nikon D3100 and the lens used is a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g telephoto lens. Thank you for looking.

Attachment 92349Attachment 92350Attachment 92351
  • 11-16-2013, 12:48 AM
    hminx
    Re: Working K-9
    Interesting set Barbie, I think shots 2 & 3 suffer a bit with the stuff in the back ground, the solid red in 1 is quite good but I think it needs all the dogs head. Number 3 if you could clone out the cones would be my pick of these.
  • 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM
    Photo-John
    I agree with hminx. I think you did a good job in general with these photos. But the backgrounds in the second two are a little distracting. Were you watching the backgrounds when you took them? Were you able to move around the dogs or move them so you could better control the backgrounds or did you just have to do your best, working around the activity?

A bigger question - what was your goal with these photos? Were you looking for a specific photo or were you just experimenting with the subject? The biggest issue for me with these photos is I don't get a good feel for what's happening - without your description, anyway. I'm not sure if you wanted to make dog portraits or document the event. And because I can't tell, I'm guessing maybe you didn't have a clear idea when you went into this. Is that correct? I'm guessing that if you'd gone into it with a stronger idea of what you wanted to get out of it, you probably would have had stronger images. Not that these are bad. But conceptually, I think they could be stronger.

A lot of the time our criticism is very technical / surface level. But I think stepping back a bit and thinking about motivation and our goals can make a bigger difference than analyzing compostion, exposure, color, etc. The more we understand ourselves and the more defined our photographic goals are, the stronger our photos will be.

I hope that helps :)
  • 11-21-2013, 03:33 AM
    Octavio789
    Its looking nice,thanx for sharing.
  • 11-21-2013, 08:23 AM
    Daniel Algolux
    I'm gonna go against the grain and say that the 3rd one's background actually enhances the pic by giving it context. If these really are "working" K-9s, then you get a feeling for the obstacle course / training aspect.
  • 11-21-2013, 10:21 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Algolux View Post
    I'm gonna go against the grain and say that the 3rd one's background actually enhances the pic by giving it context. If these really are "working" K-9s, then you get a feeling for the obstacle course / training aspect.

I thought about that when I posted the first time and I think you're right. I guess I just wish she went further and there was more context. Thanks for adding your critique and welcome to the site :)
  • 11-21-2013, 08:04 PM
    AAGP
    I'm new here, but I have to agree with Daniel in that the cones in the background give a sort of context to the scene. Even with them there I think the Doberman has little competition for the viewers interest.