Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"No Hands" bridge

And the history behind it......What do ya think?

"Mountain Quarry Bridge", "Railroad bridge", and finally the name, "No Hands Bridge", which it is known by today, was initially built by the Pacific Portland Cement Company to accommodate trains servicing an upstream rock quarry. It was the first concrete bridge of its kind in North America. It was a special railroad line that connected their limestone quarry operation with the westbound Southern Pacific main line in Auburn, California. "Mountain Quarry," as it was called. The high grade limestone was transported by rail for use in the manufacturing of cement and the refining of sugar.

The bridge was completed on March 23, 1912, by 600 men working on the Placer County side and 200 more on the EL Dorado side to the tune of $300,000. At the time of its construction the bridge was the longest concrete arch bridge in the world. The building of this structure proved that concrete was practical for building long bridges. Although it was plagued by various problems during construction , the span was considered a great piece of railroad bridge engineering.

Built 150-feet above the canyon floor, the old cement bridge stands today as a proud monument to early-day engineering and the men who built it. The bridge has withstood the tugging of the American River currents for over 80 years and stayed on its footings when the Hell Hole Dam broke in December 1964 and took out two modern bridges upstream. It also withstood the so-called "Valentines Day Flood" of 1986, which submerged the bridge before destroying a 250-foot earth-filled coffer dam two miles down river.

The "No Hands Bridge" cement bridge has served as a landmark since the railroad went out of service in the 1940s. It did, however, serve a purpose shortly after the Hell Hole dam flood. The dam, located some 40 miles upstream, brought millions of tons of thundering water down the Middle Fork. The force of the water tore out the newer concrete-and-steel highway bridge nearby that linked Auburn with Cool and Georgetown. But the cement railroad bridge survived and was quickly pressed into temporary service to restore vehicle traffic between the two counties [Placer and El Dorado]. The rail route's 15 trestles and lines of tracks were removed in the 1940s: the metal and other materials were used in the war effort. Today, a portion of the old rail route is designated as the Western States Pioneer Express Recreation Trail, in accordance with the National Trails System Act.

Attachment 75081

"No Hands" bridge-nohands3.jpg

"No Hands" bridge-img_0156300-dpi.jpg

Darin
    Last edited by Canyon Hiker; 12-27-2009 at 05:16 AM. Reason: double image
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Re: "No Hands" bridge

Sorry..one more..

"No Hands" bridge-img_0219300-dpi.jpg

Darin
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Darin,

Fantastic images of a beautiful old bridge, and great angle. Thanks for sharing. 2 X :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Thanks Bill, glad you liked it..

Darin

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Wow, stunning. That blew me away when I got to the photos..NOT what I was expecting! I love the first and the 3rd show. Colors are beautiful!

Very nice, CH! Number 2 is my favorite.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thanks Lori and shebang!!

I personally like the first although the second is nice.

No one has posted any criticism. Remember, this is the Photo Critique forum and the purpose is to supply real, constructive criticism. Just indicating that you like a photo is not adequate on this forum.

Darin, I really like this. I love that you included the history of the bridge. These photos would be pretty enough on their own. But including the history makes this post into something much richer. And I can see that the photos really are editorial illustrations to accompany the text - or vice versa. That being the case, one thing I think is missing is a higher angle photo, looking down on the bridge. I'd love to see more of the river in a view from higher up in the canyon.

Are you using HDR for these images? The tonal range is really nice. I can't tell for sure if they're HDR, which is a good thing for me. HDR is a powerful tool, but I'm not usually a fan of images that are obviously HDR compositions.

Just curious - is this farther up the canyon from the Confluence at Auburn?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nice set of photos, the framing is great and the subjects are angled wonderfully. The thing that turns me off is that the sky in these shots is a bit florescent and grainy. If you could darken the sky and maybe turn the exposure down a little on these they would be incredible.

great photos!

the first one I find it amazing the lines formed by the clouds following the outline of the hills, and then the reflection so every line converges in one point, great job.

thanks for the story of the bridge !

Thread Information