Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Wink Nikki Beach Fashion Show - probably NSFW

As Miami Swim Week draws to a close, thought I'd post one of the more interesting parts of yesterday's pageantry. I used focal point to blur out the background because I wasn't sure a vignette would work well with a midday shot. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikki Beach Fashion Show - probably NSFW-halftime_dsf3159_800px.jpg  

Re: Nikki Beach Fashion Show - probably NSFW

LOVE the perspective and exposure. I think it's mostly awesome. I will say that her fingers on the uplifted hand look kind of strange. And I don't know if it would have been improved with more of the tub showing but I think it probably wouldn't. The elements are just enough to fill the frame without crowding or looking lost. Nice! Maybe a tad more care in using focal point, as there are highlights around her. Still an awesome shot!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Yeah, I have thoughts: you either have a lot of free time on your hands living in the greatest spot in the world, or you have the best job in the world. As for the details of the photo...., who cares!
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Yeah well, it's a rough gig, bringing culture to the masses...but somebody has to do it

BTW, I wasn't the only one there shooting:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikki Beach Fashion Show - probably NSFW-_dsf3263.jpg  

Dee,
    Thanks for the kind words, this was a fairly quick edit, just to explore the possibility of using this effect to remove the hoards of people from the background. They had a triangular runway which is great for spectators, but not so great for photographers covering the event. I will clean it up for the final version.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I don't like the blur effect, no matter how good the subject
    Maybe it needs better masking?
    It's blurred her legs too much, and her hair, and left hand, and the white sheet.

I don't think software can replace a wide aperture and good bokeh on a long(ish) lens.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    Yeah well, it's a rough gig, bringing culture to the masses...but somebody has to do it

BTW, I wasn't the only one there shooting:

I do this for a while until I started doing solo work. So different when the model has all your attention. I only go to this group shoots to network and for the camaraderie...sometimes I don't even shoot...and just help out the noobies.

Phil, this isn't quite what you're thinking it is. This is a solid week of fashion shows put on by top designers from around the world, at the most exclusive hotels and clubs in Miami Beach. This is very similar to events held in Paris and New York, except the focus is swimwear. This is NOT a rabid pack of GWCs shooting a model at a studio open house or meet-up group shoot. All the photographers you see in the second shot work for magazines and stock agencies.

hmm, professional photographers! so that why they are able to keep straight faces ... or a few look even bored,

It has to be hard to shoot in the middle a crowd of large photo artifacts

she is in a soapy solution , it's got to be a struggle to hold herself from the edge of the tube , what if she slips ? big splash!

and didn't noticed this was blurred in PP until I read the other comments

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    Phil, this isn't quite what you're thinking it is. This is a solid week of fashion shows put on by top designers from around the world, at the most exclusive hotels and clubs in Miami Beach. This is very similar to events held in Paris and New York, except the focus is swimwear. This is NOT a rabid pack of GWCs shooting a model at a studio open house or meet-up group shoot. All the photographers you see in the second shot work for magazines and stock agencies.
    oh okay. Funny I was covering a fashion show too last Saturday night.... must be the fashion season.

I think it's too blurred. And it bothers me a bit that she looks like she only has one leg. The line of her back and arm is beautiful.

Thread Information