Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Night Practice III

Filter effects: the first shot shows the harsh street lights behind the stairway, there is no way to avoid them. In the second shot I tried to use them to my advantage. Too schmaltzy?

CF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Night Practice III-7382.jpg   Night Practice III-7383.jpg  
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Seb

Re: Night Practice III

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Filter effects: the first shot shows the harsh street lights behind the stairway, there is no way to avoid them. In the second shot I tried to use them to my advantage. Too schmaltzy?

CF

I truly love the lighting in the first one. It is really moody. The stairway looks most attractive to me. The whole picture seems washed out in the second version and I am not sure that I like the effect arround the lights (although it's a purely personal thing).

I tried a crop which I thought might be of some interest. You could crop the right side to get rid of the tree in the foreground. This would result in a vertical pano so to speak. I've thought that it looked good.

Seb

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Definitely the first one Coastal..Your exposure here is pretty good and the contrast well controlled..I'm not one for schmaltzy filters but the option is yours..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

The background is dark on the first one so why not simply Photoshop out the lights and bring more attention to the staircase, which is after all, your centre of interest.

Ronnoco

Ronnoco/Jurgen/Seb:

Thanks guys for the comments. I appreciate them all very much. I will give the PS/crop suggestions a try. Good stuff.

Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Thread Information