Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Nick Nacks

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Nick Nacks

A funny little personal project I have taken up. Photographing friends nick nacks. Here are a few from a party recently. Some are obvious, some less so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nick Nacks-clicks24852.jpg   Nick Nacks-clicks24872.jpg   Nick Nacks-clicks24876.jpg   Nick Nacks-candlelineup.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Seb

Re: Nick Nacks

Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst
    A funny little personal project I have taken up. Photographing friends nick nacks. Here are a few from a party recently. Some are obvious, some less so.
    I appreciate the first two pictures as they are. Simple and intriguing. I must say that the last two doesn't hold my interest. I think that your composition in the third one is ok but the picture lack dynamic range. On a side note, every pictures appears soft to me.

regards

Seb

And two more. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nick Nacks-clicks24874.jpg   Nick Nacks-clicks24875.jpg  
    Asheville Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    On a side note, every pictures appears soft to me.
    Hi Seb,

Thanks for viewing and commenting on these pics. Some I happier with than others. To me they tell a little story about the things my friends choose to display in their homes. The softness is a combination of things I believe:
    1. Handheld in available light (first two only the rest have bounce flash).
    2. ISO 3200
    3. Using screw-on magnification filter which basically spot points the focus and dramatically reduces my DOF.
    4. The Pentax *ist D series, I have found, has a softer focus range than a Nikon for example.
    Asheville Photographer

The last two work beautifully together, as if the cat is looking down on the slinky!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Yeah! I noticed that too when I was posting it. How convenient and inspiring! I think it was meant to be since they rest on the same bookcase. Triptych maybe?
    Asheville Photographer

My faves are the cat & slinky, with the 2nd picture in your first post being a close second...lol, say that ten times fast!

But I really love the cat, and the fact that it does appear to be peeking at the slinky makes it even more charming.

The other picture...it looks like a lantern almost, I really love the color and the softness of it.

Emily

I like the first three though I'd like to see the mushroom with sunlight behind it. I think the green would really jump! And I really like the cat and slinky too. I think a little push on the contrast would really bring these along (My zoom lenses leave my images lacking too!)
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

I'll take ancient scriptures for 200 alex.

Yeah 2 works for me best. Very dead sea scrolly. Love that sorta effect.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs
    I'll take ancient scriptures for 200 alex.

Yeah 2 works for me best. Very dead sea scrolly. Love that sorta effect.
    I'll take music and call :-)

I really like these, however some seem very soft.

My favourite are the lantern (music) and the cat looking at the slinky, I would combine these into 1 photo just for the hell of it.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thank you all for your feedback. I was at a New Year's Eve Eve party at a friend's and their votive candle holder really caught my attention. I'm such a magpie! Anything shiny, glowy or sparkly and I am all over it! I just had to go pull out the camera and it sort of snow balled from there.

D- I agree about the mushroom. My friend used to have it velcroed to the dash board of his car and I guess it saw lots of sunshine then. That's what made me go back into my bag to get the flash unit out. Way more interesting with better light.

The votive candle papier mache piece really grabbed me with it's paper layers and old looking music sheets.

The softness in these images is mainly due to the screw on magnifiers I use with this lens. It's not macro photography at all. I can choose one spot/plane to be in focus and let the rest fall of drastically all around. It's an effect I am playing with to make sure I use it appropriately when it counts. Nothing's worse than using the wrong tool for the job.

Thanks again for the response to these images.
    Asheville Photographer

Thread Information