Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Newbie with contrast problem

Hi, I'm a complete newbie to photography. I just got my SLR for school, and I have no idea how to use it so far, other than point and shoot. I know there's lots wrong with this pic, but I'll work on one problem at a time. In this photo, the left eye and the nose are lost in the black hair/skin. Is there a way to correct that without over-lightening the white next to it?

Thanks!

jbf

Re: Newbie with contrast problem

Quote Originally Posted by asdf.0
    In this photo, the left eye and the nose are lost in the black hair/skin. Is there a way to correct that without over-lightening the white next to it?
    It's easy to lighten images in post processing and apply different amounts of lightening to different parts of the the image. I don't know what editing software you have so I can't give you a procedure. There are limits however. I doubt there is enough detail in the dark areas of this image to get much out of lightening it other than noise.

Have fun the new hobby,
    jbf

I agree with jbf.

While it's possible to lighten dark areas without further lightning the lights, I've checked this image and it will be really tough to bring any details out of the eye without making it a very noisy, sloppy image.

If you're using Photoshop CS and upward, there's a nice little feature called, shadow/highlights, under (Image -> Adjustments). That filter can lighten up the shadows without lightning the highlights or darken the higlights without messing with the shadows.

There are multiple other ways you can also do this through PS. for example, masking, dodging and burning, etc.

hope that helped and good luck.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

You haven't mentioned what camera you are shooting with.

Though Photoshop can help, a good number of DSLR cameras and possibly point-and-shoots let you select image optimization options which sometimes includes tone adjustment settings. I know on my D70 I can adjust for low contrast and high contrast days and flush more detail out of the lights and darks. Check if your camera has these settings and if so learn to use them. This can help you retain more detail for further post processing in Photoshop.

cheers,
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

Great pooch shot. I like action images of dogs. As for getting more detail get CS2 and learn how to burn and dodge areas of your photographs. Photoshop is how you would make the kind of changes your talking about.

Keep shooting,

Jim B.

Hi, thanks for all the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.S.
    You haven't mentioned what camera you are shooting with.
    I'm using a Canon 30D and Photoshop CS2. Like I said before though, I'm pretty new to both.

a good number of DSLR cameras and possibly point-and-shoots let you select image optimization options which sometimes includes tone adjustment settings.
    Is there a certain setting I'm looking for, or is this mainly a trial and error type thing?

Also, if somebody could point out what else is wrong with this photo, I'd appreciate it. I know something isn't quite 'right', but I'm too new to know what that is yet.

Thanks.

jbf

I'm using a Canon 30D and Photoshop CS2.
    Great setup.

Is there a certain setting I'm looking for, or is this mainly a trial and error type thing?
    Well, the best setting for this shot would be to set the picture quailty to RAW. It's the digital negative and captures maximum shadow and highlight detail. In reading various forums, my non-scientific estimate is that about half the photographers shoot RAW all the time. I don't subscribe to that theory, particularly for beginners. The main advantage of RAW is that you get maximum detail and can save shots like this. The disadvantage is that the files are larger so it slows down both the shooting process and the editing process. Any subject that you really care about you probably want to shoot in RAW. If you are experimenting, medium jpeg should be fine. A general rule of thumb is that if you are going to post process (most people with a DSLR do), then you want to set the contrast setting in your camera to its minimum value. Your images may come out of the camera looking a little flat, but it's very easy to add contrast and not always easy to remove it. The contrast setting only affects jpegs, not RAW.

Many people find Av mode (aperture priority) the best shooting mode. Even though you are controlling the aperture and the camera is controlling the shutter speed to get the proper exposure, you can see (and effectively control) both. If you want sharp pictures, keep the shutter speed 200 and up (rough guideline, depends on numerous factors including lens). I like to keep the AF (autofocus) set to the center point as opposed to using numerous points and letting the camera decide where to focus. If you do that, you need to get in the habit of always pointing the center of the viewfinder to where you want to focus. That's usually the eyes if there is a person or animal in the shot. Press the shutter button half way down and hold it. While holding the button half way, quickly re-compose the shot for the best composition before pressing the button all the way down. The first day of shooting may be a bit awkward. After that it becomes second nature. You start thinking about the shot and are able to re-compose quickly. Go back to letting the camera control the focus when shooting fast moving action.

Also, if somebody could point out what else is wrong with this photo, I'd appreciate it. I know something isn't quite 'right', but I'm too new to know what that is yet.
    I see several things wrong. Actually, nothing is 'wrong' in the realm of artistic creation, but there are certain guidelines that generally give your images more impact. Let me start with what is right. You did a few things right that almost all beginners fail to do. The top of the list is getting close to your subject. It's easy for me to see that you are taking a picture of a dog. This may sound obvious, but many beginners would make the dog very small in the shot. Another thing I like is that you got down low to the level of the dog as opposed to shooting down on it. Also, you have eliminated any distracting elements from the shot. That is very important and hard to do.

Here's what you might want to fix if you try a similar shot. The viewer's eye is attracted to contrast. The contrast can be light against dark, contrasting colors, textures, or shapes, etc. In this scene there is major contrast in both light and color. It's very easy to see where the eye will be drawn. Unfortunately the contrast is on the top of the dog's head and its back. If the dog was facing more to the left side of the image, the light would illuminate the face and make for a much better image.

Also, look at the edges of the image. Parts of the dog get cut off in unusual places. I mentioned how important it is to get close to the subject. In this case you may have gotten a little too close. Another point is that the dog is fairly centered in the image and moving out of the image. You generally want the subject slightly off center, even if it is not moving. If the subject is moving, it's generally best to compose so that it's moving into the image.

I think the good far outweighs the bad knowing that you are just getting started. I'm surprised that someone new to photography would find such a good perspective for this image. The strong light hitting the wrong spot makes the image difficult to fix, but I expect the next one will be a winner.

Hope this helps,
    jbf

Hi, thanks for all the comments.

I'm using a Canon 30D and Photoshop CS2. Like I said before though, I'm pretty new to both.

Thanks.
    From what little research I could do on your camera supposedly there is a level of control but its not like my Nikon. It appears that cannon uses "picture style" in camera and comes with a bunch of preset style (including: standard, portrait, landscape, neutral, etc...) and you can download some more. Each one has different tone curves suited to certain shooting or conditions but I wouldn't let the style names become the hard and fast rule of how to use each style.

I disagree with JBF on the RAW issue. Unless you have a very slow computer that bogs down during processing you should always try to shoot RAW. You never know when you will get that golden opportunity or shot and not have the time to, or remember to, modify your picture settings.

In photoshop learning the following tools can help.

Dodge tool (and all its settings)
    Burn tool (and all its settings)
    Layers pallet
    Image >> Adjustments >> Curves
    Image >> Adjustments >> Levels
    Image >> Adjustments >> Color Balance
    Image >> Adjustments >> Shadow Highlight

I'll let other speak to improving the photo as I am still learning a lot myself in terms of composition and subjects. Best of luck.
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

Should the ears be perfectly clear? Is there a point when blur is good, ie: to show motion?

Hello asdf.0

If you are interested, in a book on photography I would suggest Understanding Exposure. I have been reading through the book the last couple months and it is great. The author does an excellent job of explaining aperture, shutter speed and ISO, and the book has beautiful examples. Although the book does not talk about how to operate your camera, it would be helpful for everything else.

Thanks, I will definately look for that book.

Thread Information