Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

New York City, New York

This is actually a new take on an old picture...this was taken in July 2005 and I had originally edited the picture and posted it here with selective coloring but playing around today in the studio I decided to go a different way with this picture. Below the original edit and the new version. Thoughts?

original edit:

new edit:

Re: New York City, New York

I like the vivid yellows in the edit and the close up, but I do not understand the logic of the added blurr

"Nobody drove in New York, there was too much traffic" - Phillip J Fry.

I agree with armando - the blur doesnt make sense.

I like the direction you're going in with the edit.

The blur could work really well were it more natural and bokeh-y and handled a bit more delicately. As it is, it hints at a "toy cityscape" look, which is really cool.

What blurring method did you use?

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Hm, I can see what you're working to achieve with the tilt/shift effect, but I think 1) it's a little too extreme of an angle to be believable and 2) the blur-to-focus is too much of a jolt. To achieve a better tilt/shift effect, I would shift the angle a bit so that some buildings were in the focus area, and some traffic on the extreme ends are also. It's a good candidate for the effect, so maybe just tweak it a little? Hope this helps.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Hm, I can see what you're working to achieve with the tilt/shift effect, but I think 1) it's a little too extreme of an angle to be believable and 2) the blur-to-focus is too much of a jolt. To achieve a better tilt/shift effect, I would shift the angle a bit so that some buildings were in the focus area, and some traffic on the extreme ends are also. It's a good candidate for the effect, so maybe just tweak it a little? Hope this helps.
    Agreed.....

I agree the effect is just to much. I like the original the most, I think I see the Cash Cab?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I like the 1st one. The 2nd one, I think is a bit too abrupt. The blur should've been a gradual mask with its access paralelling the street. Nice scene of NY!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thanks for the critique guys!

I was just giving the tilt shift effect a try, I'll keep working on it.

Thanks!

I really like the first shot, the splash of yellow against the b/w of a NYC street is a very good interpretation of The Big Apple. I would probably clone out the McDonald's flag though, or maybe give it a little color too. (Nothing against McDonald's, its just the only icon in the shot other than Yellow Taxi.)
    I agree with the others on #2, but I do like the "toy affect" that you created. I would like to see more work on this shot, I think that there is something there.

Thread Information