Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

New to this - the Louvre

Hi folks,

Brand new here, and almost brand new to photography. I've been learning the ropes with a Nikon D5100, and I am just looking to get some feedback from people who know more about this stuff than I do. I'd love any feedback you can give.

This is a picture I took at the Louvre in Paris last September. Would love to hear thoughts about any aspect of the picture. I was really interested in the light on the water and the triangular shape of the pool, so I got very low and tried to capture the scene of the plaza with that in the foreground. I'm reasonably happy with the picture, but I wasn't sure what exactly to focus on. I ended up with the horse's butt focused, but that wasn't really what I wanted. I actually like the way the lights and people in the background are a little blurry, because it gives it a bit of a "impressionist" feeling to me. But I am curious if there is a different approach I could have taken...

Please bear in mind that I am total newbie, so try not to go too hard-core technical in your responses.

f/3.5 | 1/20 | ISO-3200

Thanks very much!

~Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to this - the Louvre-louvre1.jpg  
    Last edited by sbattisti; 03-24-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Re: New to this - the Louvre

Steve, could you please supply a little info about this image? Take a look at the EXIF information on the file and tell us the Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO. Also, tell us what you like about the shot and what you wish was different/better. What was your intent when you framed this up and released the shutter?
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Steve, could you please supply a little info about this image? Take a look at the EXIF information on the file and tell us the Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO. Also, tell us what you like about the shot and what you wish was different/better. What was your intent when you framed this up and released the shutter?
    Hi there. I added some more information to the OP. Hope this helps. I confess, I'm not quite far enough along in my photo experience to have a great concept of what I am hoping to accomplish. This was a case where I just found the pool and that shape compelling, so I tried to frame it up in a way that looked intriguing to me...

Nice colors, wonderful exposure

your description why you shot it is more than enough

If it were my photo I would:
    1. mode the horizon higher , eliminate most of the sky , make the V even more prominent
    2. point a bit towards the right , the building to the right is wonderful, keep the arch and the wheel in the frame

You are doing great !

Great shot and cool place. I would of given the bottom edge a little more breathing room. The black tip is right at the edge of the frame and I think would look better with more space below.

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Nice colors, wonderful exposure

your description why you shot it is more than enough

If it were my photo I would:
    1. mode the horizon higher , eliminate most of the sky , make the V even more prominent
    2. point a bit towards the right , the building to the right is wonderful, keep the arch and the wheel in the frame

You are doing great !
    Thanks very much! Unfortunately, I'm not likely to get another shot at this one for some time (I live in the U.S.), but this is exactly the sort of feedback I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyMonkey View Post
    Great shot and cool place. I would of given the bottom edge a little more breathing room. The black tip is right at the edge of the frame and I think would look better with more space below.
    That's a great idea, thanks!

I do like the impressionist feel of the image, and the blurred distance downplays the individual people and seems to mold them into the scene, your aperture selection served you well there. The play of light on the water and wet ground does a lot for the shot. The image seems to be listing to the left, so leveling it up would be helpful. The photo is too centered and the sky doesn't add a lot of value, so I'd crop out some of it. If you go back to France, framing up more of the structure to the right (as Armando suggests) would probably make a nicer scene. You could play with the crop, pulling down from the upper left corner, to eliminate some the clutter on the left, while reducing some of the sky...I think it will be a nice result.

Great first post!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Steve, I have no idea what photo editing software you have, but as you say a reshoot however desirable is not an option, so I think a little editing would help here. As suggested a crop to eliminate some of the sky ( its not contributing to the image ) and some of the left might help.Also the black shadow thing is just a little too dark and solid for my taste, its more like negative space than a point of interest. I think you would find that if you bring out just a little texture in it with shadow enhancement it become obvious that it is a trench or drain and becomes part of the narrative.
    You haven't indicated your preferences as to forum members editing and reposting your shots, but if you like I can post an edit to show what I'm getting at.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I'm also new to this, but I like this photo. I really like the lines of the V and all the reflections of the lights.

Thread Information