Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

New Kid...New Pics

Pics are right from the camera. can someone critique them and also photoshop them so that I can see what post processing is all about. I would like to see a before and after pic to examine the possibilities.

Thanks,
    bluesguy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Kid...New Pics-church.jpg   New Kid...New Pics-flower1.jpg   New Kid...New Pics-flowernbee.jpg   New Kid...New Pics-rose1.jpg   New Kid...New Pics-rose2.jpg  

GB1

Re: New Kid...New Pics

Blues - I think that they are all soft / somewhat fuzzy. It may be partially due to the image resizing, but I would guess that it was more to do with you hand holding the camera in a low light situation. When shooting scenes like this, use a tripod. There's not much disadvantage in static situations like this where you have plenty of time to set up.

Concerning the content, I like the 3rd one the best as it is most interesting. The second one really needs to be sharper to have any chance. The 4th is nice but the right side branch is distracting. On the top one I feel you made a mistake in including all that sidewalk for no apparent reason and shortchanged the sky as a result.

Do you not have PS yourself? Try downloading Gimp .. it's free and works pretty well. Note that sharpening is something that many photographers do to most of their shots. You may be able to save some of these by doing so

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Blues - I think that they are all soft / somewhat fuzzy. It may be partially due to the image resizing, but I would guess that it was more to do with you hand holding the camera in a low light situation. When shooting scenes like this, use a tripod. There's not much disadvantage in static situations like this where you have plenty of time to set up.

Concerning the content, I like the 3rd one the best as it is most interesting. The second one really needs to be sharper to have any chance. The 4th is nice but the right side branch is distracting. On the top one I feel you made a mistake in including all that sidewalk for no apparent reason and shortchanged the sky as a result.

Do you not have PS yourself? Try downloading Gimp .. it's free and works pretty well. Note that sharpening is something that many photographers do to most of their shots. You may be able to save some of these by doing so

G
    G,
    Thanks very much for your C&C, yes I was hand holding everything. I tried to move/rearrange the branch next to the rose but it would not stay put. If I had broken it off to get it out of the way, my sister would have had my head on a platter. These were her flowers. No, I don't have a copy of PS, too expensive for me at this stage in my endeavours for pic taking. The money for it could go for another lens. Perhaps one day.

bluesguy

Here is a little tweeking with my favorite filter of the day! I like a graphic feel to my images and have been having a blast resurrecting old captures with this. It may be on the extreme end of Photoshop editing but you can do crazy and not so crazy stuff in the computer.

mbb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Kid...New Pics-churchforbluesguy.jpg  

GB1

Like I said, GIMP is *free* http://gimp.org/

Here's a cleanup job on the church. There's a lot of compression artifacts there that make it difficult to work with.

mbb, what filter did you use?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Kid...New Pics-church_gb.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Big thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice and suggestions, will download Gimp and try to use it this weekend if I can squeeze in some time.

bluesguy

Thread Information