Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Lightbulb need some opinions!

Well i took this the other day at the origanal Lazerous building that is now being re-modled into new commercial space, anywho im starting a lock series for my first shot at a good portfolio. I posted my first one here awhile back and i would like to know your opinions on this picture. I have yet to edit it beacuae im not to sure what it needs and this is where you all come in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails need some opinions!-forum-pict-332.jpg  

Re: need some opinions!

Little cropping off the bottom just a bit and you have a great photo , DOF color sharpness scaling paint everything is dead on ,IMO good Capture
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Good idea for a series. Old locks and peeling paint are always cool...

This shot is pretty good, but my eye sees it as a vertical (IOW, the lock hanging down instead of sideways). That long stretch of negative space along the bottom (which would be the right side in a vertical) is a bit distracting. I think a more square crop would fix that, having the lock more centered (yeah, centered is not always bad).

Now, if you wanted to place text on this shot, that changes everything (something to keep in mind when you shoot portfolio shots for commercial work). I could easily see leaving the shot as is and placing copy in the negative areas on the top and bottom and it working perfectly...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

drg

Please spell Lazarus correctly if you refer to it in your portfolio! They were once a customer. Some good ideas and suggestions already, I'd second anything regarding better DOF control and contrast adjustments. You might want to work on the body of the lock where the paint has peeled away to bring out texture or color of the metal.

Looking forward to more locks.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I agree with Steve, switching this to a vertical shot might work great. Love the subtle colors and the texture is superb.

Well done,

Jared

Good luck on the series,

However on this one I agree with the others, I would also loose what looks like the back of a heel on the right or include a bit more of what it is to give it more context.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information