Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Nap time

Nap time

I caught my son sleeping in his toy box today.
    As always, your thoughts please (good or bad).
    Thank you.

the first shot (yes, the face blur was intentional) - F/2.0, SS 1/80, ISO 400
    the shot with the book (a fun shot aiming for more of the image being in focus) - F/5.6, SS 1/80, ISO 400
    Last edited by Alison; 02-25-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Re: Nap time

Bottom one is best, but I would loosen up on the crop re: telling time card and the head, and then blacken out the bottom right hand corner using Photoshop to keep the eye and the attention on your subject. A good strong centre of interest and a "story" to be told as per the title on the card but the hands are not the most important element in the photo. It is the card, the face and the blanket in the mouth.

Great work Alison.

Ronnoco

First of all, how stinking cute is that?? I love that he fell asleep in the toy box...hehe!

Secondly, it's a really great shot, and I agree with Ronnoco about not quite so tight a crop. Love the blanket in his mouth...really cute touch.

Emily

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Alison,,I prefer the top image...Being a newspaperman it has an editorial feel to it and B/W adds to the image..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Like 'em both. Like #2 better. As long as you're arranging the scene, put the book where it will cover the bar code next time.;)

Love these!!! 2nd one is my favorite... I agree about the crop too, but this is great!
    Meg

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Alison,

I always enjoy your photos because they are always sweet and innocent, and your talent seems so effortless. The first one here is adorable, the second one as well but less to my liking. They both seem very soft and cozy
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I prefer the first as it gives that feeling of comfort and softness that kids have at that age have. It also gives the indication of total collapse that kids do.

The second needs a wider crop as already stated. I disagree with hiding the barcode as it emphasises the toy box being used as the sleeping pit.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

There's nothing I can do about that crop. That is how I took the shot.

Below is one of the first photographs I took at the same time as the others. You can see where the book was originally. I didn't place it there.

Is this crop any better?

Don't miss my other post today... http://forums.photographyreview.com/...533#post128533
    Last edited by Alison; 02-25-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Alison...Are you vying for awwwwwwwwwwww points??I think it has worked!!
    Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

both of those top 2 pics are amazing...i absolutely love them....the only thing that bothers me about the 3rd is the tag on the box...it's not so bad in the second pic...nonetheless, i can easily put that aside. love the pics man. keep it up.

Thread Information