Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: My truck.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

My truck.

My truck under the starry sky, camping last month.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My truck.-truck.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-26-2004 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Un-Sticking as "Featured Photo" for 20 December 2004 - Thanks Rick!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: My truck.

Hello Walterick,

I really really like this picture. The different lights at different levels i think gives this image a really beautiful quality and interest to it. I also like the foreground trees and the outline of the truck. Man, that is really neat! Maybe try putting the picture in for a longer period and see how you like longer start trails (although it all depends on YOUR taste). Also try another picture where the car shadow like it is in this picture is the primary focus of your picture, and then have the star trails in the background. To do this you would undoubtedly put the car a lot closer to make it the primary focus point of the picture. I think that could make for another breath taking picture of something we see everyday (a boring car or truck), turned into real beautiful art. But all you really need here is to print the sucker in poster size and hang it up with pride...reall, really, big. Excellent job!

Mando

Hey walterick,
    great image. I like the negative space above the silhouettes of the trees and just the hint of the truck from the highlights. I'm a little ( or alot) confused as to how the stars came to look like that. I would guess the exposure was many seconds long but all the stars moving in a similiar circular pattern? Personally i'm not crazy about the streaks of light in the sky. I would have preferred a simple few stars or a moon, or even just the space as the colors are fantastic. But still a Great image.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

The stars came to look like that because the earth rotates in a circular pattern, which when you leave the camera on for hours at a time, it leaves star trails. The longer the exposure, the longer the trails of the stars.

Mando
    "The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance."
    Aristotle

"What the mass media offers is not popular art, but entertainment which is intended to be consumed like food, forgotten, and replaced by a new dish."
    W. H. Auden

Rick

I like it and then don't like it but I keep being pulled back to it.

I love the colours in the lower part of the photo and the stars, but I think I would have cropped it at the top a little. Too much dark space. I also didn't notice the truck at first so I would have tried to give the truck a bit more light - how I have no idea. - Just my thoughts.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

LOVE the colors!
    I like how is fades from the yellow, the a little spot of orange then to red then black all while showing some stars.
    Thanks for posting this over here Rick!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Very, very nice Rick -- how long was the exposure?
    Aaron

Woohoo! Thanks Brian! My best Christmas present I'm sure!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I must add that there are two differences between the slide (Velvia 50) and the print which I was unable to compensate for:

1) the star trails have "jpeggedness" toward the top and in the slide they are flawlessly smooth
    2) the truck was a much more obvious feature in the slide. It had more light on it and was much more defined.

(hope this doesn't ruin it for anyone) The colors in the sky came from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel which was just left out of the frame. It was beautiful to behold. I did take shots of the sky with stationary stars with the colors popping. It didn't scan well but the slide is brilliant. I did hear later though that the aurora borealis was visible this far south that same night...

BTW: the shutter speed on this one was approx 15 minutes.

I appreciate the time you all took to comment.
    Mando: thanks, for suggesting this is poster material That is a compliment of the highest order to me.
    Gahspidy: yes, the reason the stars moved was because the shutter was open for so long that the earth rotated It's a technique I am learning to master and incorporate into different kinds of shots. Thanks for the compliments!
    Reading: I cropped the top a bit out of curiousity before posting but decided to leave it in. Thanks for making that suggestion. If it ever goes 8x10 that will be the part to get cropped! Glad that the image isn't letting you go
    Brian: thanks for the compliments and the Christmas gift \
    Aaron: thanks for the compliment. I had the shutter locked open for about 15 minutes. Give or take. I don't ake notes on my shutters like I used to I was too excited to shoot

Here's another picture of the same technique; under the full moon.

Thanks again!
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My truck.-pinwheel.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long

Ahh, makes sense. I did not realize the exposure was that long. I have done some night shots but with exposures of up to 15-30 seconds as there was enough available light to keep the exposure down. great effect.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Incredible - Now that is a picture I would be prepared to pay money for. I take it the exposure is shorter in this one - size of star trail. How many shots do you take to get these?

PS. Played around with Paint Shop Pro last night trying to learn how to use the tool and down loaded the truck. I added a little fill in flash and hey presto the truck is highlighted a lot better. If you want I can send you the change. I also tried cropping and did not like the result so I guess you were right to leave it as it stands.

Good shooting.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Hey Roger

Thanks for the comments! I actually grabbed both of these shots on one try. The Arches Park one was my lesson that moonlight turns into sunlight when exposed for long enough. I had no idea what I was doing! I was pretty miffed that the moon was out that night as I wanted a dark sky to silhouette my rock formaiton against. Oh well! Now I wait for the full moon to shoot at night to get that "creepy" daylight feel. Here's another one from my gallery exposing moonlight for sunlight:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...cat=500&page=3

I would love to see your version of the truck shot! I'm always up for constructive feeedback on my work. Please post it here if you want as I feel it's a part of the critique process. Otherwise, feel free to email or PM it to me.

Thanks again!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Hey Roger

Thanks for the comments! I actually grabbed both of these shots on one try. The Arches Park one was my lesson that moonlight turns into sunlight when exposed for long enough. I had no idea what I was doing! I was pretty miffed that the moon was out that night as I wanted a dark sky to silhouette my rock formaiton against. Oh well! Now I wait for the full moon to shoot at night to get that "creepy" daylight feel. Here's another one from my gallery exposing moonlight for sunlight:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...cat=500&page=3

I would love to see your version of the truck shot! I'm always up for constructive feeedback on my work. Please post it here if you want as I feel it's a part of the critique process. Otherwise, feel free to email or PM it to me.

Thanks again!
    Rick
    Here is the version with fill in flash
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DSLR
    Digital

DOM

Very nice picture Rick !

I can confirm it's a northern lights , you can believe me ;)

If you want to avoid the artifacts in the star trails , you should resize your image at 50% at each steps.

Greetings from Quebec city , Canada !

p.s: sory for my english , I usualy talk french.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

my lesson that moonlight turns into sunlight when exposed for long enough
    You're quite right, moonlight IS sunlight.
    I guess techincally starlight is sunlight, just not our sun.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Oh my god. That moonlight picture is AWESOME!
    When I first looked at it, I thought you had masked in a sunlight photo with a nightime star-trail shot. It's beautiful! I had no idea you could actually get colors out of moonlight since everything has such a pasty-white look to it in a full moon.
    I can't wait to try that on our next full moon.

Killer job!
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” –Edmund Burke

learning member

Woohoo! Thanks Brian! My best Christmas present I'm sure!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I must add that there are two differences between the slide (Velvia 50) and the print which I was unable to compensate for:

1) the star trails have "jpeggedness" toward the top and in the slide they are flawlessly smooth
    2) the truck was a much more obvious feature in the slide. It had more light on it and was much more defined.

(hope this doesn't ruin it for anyone) The colors in the sky came from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel which was just left out of the frame. It was beautiful to behold. I did take shots of the sky with stationary stars with the colors popping. It didn't scan well but the slide is brilliant. I did hear later though that the aurora borealis was visible this far south that same night...

BTW: the shutter speed on this one was approx 15 minutes.

I appreciate the time you all took to comment.
    Mando: thanks, for suggesting this is poster material That is a compliment of the highest order to me.
    Gahspidy: yes, the reason the stars moved was because the shutter was open for so long that the earth rotated It's a technique I am learning to master and incorporate into different kinds of shots. Thanks for the compliments!
    Reading: I cropped the top a bit out of curiousity before posting but decided to leave it in. Thanks for making that suggestion. If it ever goes 8x10 that will be the part to get cropped! Glad that the image isn't letting you go
    Brian: thanks for the compliments and the Christmas gift \
    Aaron: thanks for the compliment. I had the shutter locked open for about 15 minutes. Give or take. I don't ake notes on my shutters like I used to I was too excited to shoot

Here's another picture of the same technique; under the full moon.

Thanks again!
    Rick
    WOW! I like this one better than the truck!
    This is the one i'd make a poster of!
    If you do, make 2 & send me one!
    Congrats, Mark.

Thread Information