Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

My son at the beach

I can't take credit for this, my wife took it when she took the kids to the beach a couple of weeks ago. Shrinking it down made the hat look a little funny. I personally love this picture and printed it to keep on my desk here at work. If you look close, there's a tear on his far cheek next to his nose. Oh, she used our Sony F828 on program auto mode, with the focus set to center focusing, rather than the 5 point auto focus. I don't know the shutter and aperatuer values, but it was auto anyway. It was an overcast day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My son at the beach-crying-josh.jpg  

I want a camera too, mommeeeee!

Cute shot.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Poor guy!

Cute little boy. I would suggest one of 2 things to improve the composition of this shot. Either don't center him (after locking the focus, reframe) - it would be nicer if he was on the right hand side of the photo with some room to look into, or cry into I should say. Or I would try shooting it portrait instead of landscape, which wouldn't have cropped so much of his hand. Nice depth of field (to blur the background).

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I can't take credit for this, my wife took it when she took the kids to the beach a couple of weeks ago. Shrinking it down made the hat look a little funny. I personally love this picture and printed it to keep on my desk here at work. If you look close, there's a tear on his far cheek next to his nose. Oh, she used our Sony F828 on program auto mode, with the focus set to center focusing, rather than the 5 point auto focus. I don't know the shutter and aperatuer values, but it was auto anyway. It was an overcast day.

Thanks!! I could probably acheive what you describe with cropping. right now it's cropped 4x6 landscape. I thought that too, that he should be a little more to the right. The original is a quite bigger than what I posted. I always tell my wife to take the picture zoomed out a bit because you can crop it. If you try to get the perfect frame and miss, you have nothing left to work with. She sometimes still tries to take pics like she was using a film camera and had no editing power. We normally got our film camera pics developed at Walmart, so what you shot is what you got. Digital gives so much more flexibility for beginners.

Great moments

Another great moment in child rearing captured for eternity. This is one you and your wife will treasure for years to come. Now that all my children are grown this type of picture has become more and more valuable. We find our selfs going back to the old albums more often than ever. I agree with the suggestions on the crop above.

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    I agree with oldtimer. Hit the hammer on the nail. Brilliant capture, forget about framing , exposures , angles etc etc.
    Bobby

Thread Information