Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: My Ol Boots

My Ol Boots

Three different processing s of the same shot, value some opinions on what ( if anything ) works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Ol Boots-boots1.jpg   My Ol Boots-boots2.jpg   My Ol Boots-boots3.jpg  
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Re: My Ol Boots

I like the first shot the best, maybe a slight crop from the bottom getting rid of the out of focus area. Number three is ok just a bit to much grain.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

#1 for me. Tells a story of a long relationship of protection and comfort that has come to its end. Now discarded in a mud hole after outliving their usefulness. Technically; a tighter crop removing some nonessential background and some foreground. Maybe if they were back a bit further we could see more of their reflection in the water.
    Thought provoking image. Very nice.
    Ed

#3. The tonal artifacts really hurt 2. 1 and 3, there is something strange going on with the mound behind them.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I see where you're trying to go with 2 & 3 but they just aren't working for me. I think if you want the "old time" look, just cut the saturation by half, in the first one.

I like #2.
    Looks like something real, in an unreal place.
    If you could blur the hard gradations in the background it would look better.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Thanks Greg, I tried cropping it a bit tighter but I'm not sure if it helped, and yeah the grain is a bit over the top.

thanks Ed, these boots and I have spent some considerable time together

Anbesol I think the issue with the background is due to this shot being taken hand held, elbows and knees in the wet gravel. So I think what you are seeing there is a bit of camera shake, I should have found a board or something to sit the camera on.

Thanks Jet, to tell the truth I'm not really sure what effect I wanted to get with this one.

Thank you Snoid.

This was a muddy puddle in a gravel pit which with the weather we are having at the moment should still be there, if not somewhat larger, so I think I might have another crack at this.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Def #3. I like that one a lot, though it's a bit too noisy. Love the boots, too.

Thread Information