Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: My First...

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

My First...

...wall-hanger (shot in 1984 just a year after I bought my first SLR). Thought it would be fun to post this for critique as it may help others as well.

Don't be timid. Although I will have to put myself in a mindset of a 17 year old again
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: My First...

I really like this one, loupey. I think you have a wall hanger for sure. The tight dof is nice, but I am not sure of the lighting. It seems a little soft which of course could be an effect of the time of day it was shot. Even though I know it would be cutting off some of the leaves. I would almost love to see a tighter crop that focuses on the red berries.

All in all, a nice shot. I would make a comment about age, but I figure you are much closer to 17 than I am.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

OK Well I did the math and no one is asking you to go THAT far back! (J/K) I can see why you hung it up and enjoyed looking at. Beautiful colors and a nice composition.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

I agree, looks great. The berries out of focus behind the main subject are a little hot and overexposed, but I still think it works.

Well done.

Thanks srobb, CL, and Jared

Ah, to be 17 again and full of hormones... don't know if that would be a dream or nightmare

Hope anyone else watching and still shooting with film realizes that good images can be had with no post processing, no digital mumbo jumbo.

For those interested:

Shot with Canon A-1
    Canon 70-210 f/4
    Kodachrome 64
    Natural Lighting - no fill, no reflectors

See my website HERE.

Makes me want to whip out the 'ol Maxxum 5000. Great DOF, and use of the light you had. I think the hot spots on the berries are of small consequence when taken on the whole.
    John

John, thanks for the compliments! Actually, I starting shooting film this weekend using my father's old Nikon SLR. I will post those after I have processed (what's that )!

CL, mathematically there is something that supposed to happen to me next year. Dunno what but something so earth-shattering and life-altering that my very existence will be called into question. I feel fine for now. Although that silver convertible's been lookin' awfully good lately...

See my website HERE.

Thread Information